Why so many masochistic car builders here???

LLBenJ

There seems to be a decent population of masochistic builders here. You build something, or don't even finish the build, and move on to something else. This is very strange behavior for me, as a new builder. Why do you engage in this behavior???

LLBenJ

They enjoy dumping time (their life) and money into something they plan to leave (giving up) for something else??? I understand gratification can come from many things but this has had a profound, and immensely negative, effect for me here and my build. I'm trying to understand why someone would throw away $20+k, and time allotted, and decide "meh", not for me. I ask this because I've been berated about the constant issues I've encountered and the typical response is "welcome to kit call building". That might be easy for you, or one of you, but for me I expected a "no drill, no fab," kit car and found not only a disconnect, but a lie with respect to this expectation? I'm just trying to understand and build a bridge over this farse that exists for kit cars.

Tinkles

I haven't moved on, but interests change, life changes, finances change, etc. For me I have/had grand visions for mine which takes more time, money, and energy. I currently have the time but the money and energy/motivation are lacking. The days feel so short when the sun sets at only 5pm. Without having the extra money to toss at it, I don't look at parts for it and it doesn't stay in the front of my mind seeing it is in my detached garage.

LLBenJ

I'm a novice, new, builder and quickly realized I bit off more than I could chew.( DF Goblin is a no drill, no weld no fab build)...fucking bullshit.

The insight you guys are providing is helpful but not comforting. I've had many new potential want to build kit car guys engage me and I just send them away from these types of builds. If you have the knowledge, tools, and equipment these builds will flow but for a first time builder none of this exists.

I look back daily on what I've spent and realize I could have purchased a very nice/new Subaru WRZ STI or Toyota Corolla for what I've got in this Goblin build and have a much more capable car. Yes, I would not have built those but that's what new builders need to know going into these projects.

Will my Goblin be Awesome??? Maybe...I'm simply saying that at this point in time I'm not sure it was worth the time and effort to even engage in the build!

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I'm a novice, new, builder and quickly realized I bit off more than I could chew.( DF Goblin is a no drill, no weld no fab build)...fucking bullshit.

The insight you guys are providing is helpful but not comforting. I've had many new potential want to build kit car guys engage me and I just send them away from these types of builds. If you have the knowledge, tools, and equipment these builds will flow but for a first time builder none of this exists.

I look back daily on what I've spent and realize I could have purchased a very nice/new Subaru WRZ STI or Toyota Corolla for what I've got in this Goblin build and have a much more capable car. Yes, I would not have built those but that's what new builders need to know going into these projects.

Will my Goblin be Awesome??? Maybe...I'm simply saying that at this point in time I'm not sure it was worth the time and effort to even engage in the build!
You must have put immense amount of research into this build it shows from my perspective................................................................................ugh

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
There seems to be a decent population of masochistic builders here. You build something, or don't even finish the build, and move on to something else. This is very strange behavior for me, as a new builder. Why do you engage in this behavior???
If you are looking for members to join your crusade, I don't think you are going get the results you wish for.

For many, it's the journey, not the destination. They enjoy the build process and quickly bore of it once the challenges are gone.

Perhaps you did bite off more than you can chew. I don't feel that is DF's fault of being misleading. They have build videos for heaven's sake showing you EXACTLY what you need to do and hopefully one can use information like this as a litmus test to determine if you can be successful. If you were expecting Legos, well, it's not.

Berating DF is not going to get you a lot of backers, sympathy, nor frankly much help of the DF community. And in doing so, on the forum or otherwise, only exemplifies your inept aptitude as opposed to your actual intent.

We have built our car and enjoyed every moment of it and happy with every dollar put towards the car. My son and I have a life-long memories and a memento as a bonus. While ours was very positive, I can understand others may have completely different experiences. I am truly sorry to hear that your experience so far is so negative, I don't wish that on anyone in the DF community. Maybe it's best to cut your losses and hunt down that already-built Subaru or Toyota.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

Maybe there have been some professional mechanics build a Goblin here. Most have been novices who at most changed their oil or replaced an alternator in the past. The only difference between them is the professional already had the knowledge to do the tasks. The novice is slower and learning along the way. None of the Goblin building tasks are beyond understanding.

As for the support DF has provided, I personally believe they have done an excellent job.

There are plenty of us who have built and now thoroughly enjoy driving the finished Goblin. There are others who love the build process more and move on when finished. Why is that a bad thing?

It happens that some fail to finish the build - for many reasons. I believe that reflects solely on the builder and not DF - too many completed Goblins to prove otherwise at this time. However. It is a kit car. Not a 100 piece cardboard puzzle to be completed on a kitchen table.

Chubbs

I'm trying really hard to remember here, but I can't remember drilling, welding, or fabbing anything during the base build. I think I used a drill to ream out some of the already drilled holes after I painted the frame, but that's it I think. Nothing needed welding at all until after the build was complete and I decided I wanted harness bars installed. I DID fabricate some parts (3d printed gauge cluster, front splitter, steering column cover), but none of those were a requirement.

As for your initial question about people building and then moving on; what do you do with a puzzle after it's built? I look at it for a few minutes, then wad it up and throw it back in the box. To a lot of us, the Goblin is a puzzle. Once the build is finished, the fun is over and it's time to move on.

Finally, you're right, you absolutely could have bought a nice STI, or a corvette, or a decent Porsche Boxster for the same money you spent on a goblin. And you know who would care about those cars? Nobody. People see all of those cars 3x per day, and you can buy them every day on craigslist with zero effort. No one will care or ask you questions about them at cars and coffee. But just try getting gas in a goblin without a conversation starting. You can't do it. You will have a truly unique vehicle that 99% of people have never seen before. Oh, and it's faster than any of those cars I just mentioned. You just can't drive in the rain.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Do us all a favor and put your Goblin up for sale and find another kit car that is easier to build than a Goblin, please. You have burned your bridges here and your negative comments about the Goblin, the Doyles, and the forum family is beyond unacceptable to the 400+ other members and the hundreds of guests this site sees on a regular basis. Building a car is not like building lego set, and your claim of 'lies' about how simple it's supposed to be (your expectations only) are not based on the real world requirements. Oh and stay out of everyone else's forum posts and threads if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say.

Last edited:

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Ben, the questions you’ve asked and claims you’ve made don’t indicate you are a novice. A novice would have a basic understanding of mechanical things and not expect building a car to be like assembling a piece of IKEA furniture. It truly sounds like you expected to buy a kit and the knowledge it involves would come prepackaged also. You failed to honestly asses your skills, haven’t accepted help that was offered, and now blame the manufacturer for not stating that a basic understanding of mechanical devices is required. Your attitude reminds me of my son when a Lego set he’s working on isn’t going together like it should. He starts getting upset, frustrated, and throwing a tantrum. But even he accepts help, learns from his mistake and moves on to complete his project.

wallace58

I have built over 16 kit cars in the last 10 years. If they were easy anyone could do it. We learn a lot about ourselves as we tackle difficulties in our life. Berating others does no one any good. Other forums I have been a member of would have already deleted this thread. Man up and sell it or learn to conquer the difficulties you are facing. Just my 2-cents. :confused:

Josh's09

I am one of the new guys with almost zero experience. With the aid of the youtube videos put together, the deconstructions was a breeze! The assembly part has been a little more difficult, but that's because I had zero experience! The help from DF and this forum has been above and beyond. Within 24hrs I have had answers, links or helpful photos shared to aid in the build. I think the only drilling I have done is to clear off some powdercoat where the bolts go, or where I broke a bolt on the rear control arm. It sucks you didn't have a good experience, but to tell people you were mislead by DF is just a lie.

Indy Lonnie

The build for me so enjoyable I wish I had the $ to do more of them. Once you are “done” with the build, there will be endless mods that you can do to make it your own. The performance of the Goblin - in any trim will annihilate 99% of the sports cars on the road. You will get so much attention and questions everywhere you go… I wonder if a Toyota Corolla or STI will get you that?
I had to drill maybe less than a dozen hole besides the side panels - no welding and minor cutting of the donor parts. If you are welding and modifying a lot or think you have to, you are doing something wrong!
DF was always responsive if I had any questions. The forum will provide you with most of you answers. I believe DF left some of the details absent for a reason - personalization. I have put close to 10,000 miles on mine. I never not once taken mine out and did not get a compliment, question or thumbs up. See if you get that with your Corolla.
The build should be just as enjoyable as the driving. And remember, the Goblin is a fair weather car - not a daily driver. It is special. If you wished you had one of the cars above - this build is not for you.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
As for why? Because building this with my son was difficult but amazing. That’s a memory that he’ll have even after I’m gone. I hope it sparks him to do the same with his children. I enjoy driving but already find myself thinking how much I miss the building portion already. I wish I was in a spot that I could afford to build another without selling my current one first.

( DF Goblin is a no drill, no weld no fab build)... fucking bullshit
I don’t understand what’s so hard about the build? Were there difficulties during the process, of course! But those make the process memorable. Anything I encountered was answered quickly. Not to mention the videos get you 75% of the way there. As for the claims no welding/no drilling. My adventure did not require any of this. The only drilling I encountered was reaming out some holes and putting on the side panels. Oh, I did have to drill to put in the Rivnuts I used to hold on the tunnel cover, but that was my modification and not required. I hope you find a way to overcome your challenges, not just here but in life as well. Lastly, the no fab. You can build this without having to fabricate anything, but most chose not to do this.

Last edited:

gofast

I'm also a first time builder. However, I've done enough mechanical projects to know challenges arise, so I expected some here. I installed an S&S 100 ci engine in my 2002 Buell S3T. On paper, easy, remove the old engine and bolt in the new. In reality, multiple challenges along the way. The best advice I can give is don't loose your cool by setting deadlines that lead to frustrations. Go slow and deal with each step of the build as a single project. Problems can be dealt with as they arise. There is a sense of relief and satisfaction when a problem is overcome and you can move on. As you complete each step, you're one step closer to completion. If you look at the car build as a whole, it might seem overwhelming, one step at a time is manageable.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I am holding out the hand of assistance! MINE! (Yeah, January is a rough month! Or maybe life's been handing you crap sandwiches lately?) BUT You Can Do This!(I am parent/adult enough that I will set aside your accusation of untruthfulness on DF's part. That is not what I would like to address or settle. Sometimes we all say things we don't exactly mean.) PATIENCE! I want to help you succeed! Why Do I say that? Because you can type and have managed to communicate your discontent very well! BRAVO! By that measure you ARE a capable person, communication is about half of most any problem IMHO. I know many facts! Fact#1 the Donor was built by humans as was the Goblin kit. I Believe(and here is where I need you to "Believe" along with me) that means that humans(You and Me and everyone else here) can mangle, fix or modify it as they Desire. (I CANNOT Re-Kindle that Desire within you, That is and has always been up to you.) I have started plenty of home renovation projects that didn't quite go as planned,(Just ask my wife, on second thought, don't, please?:rolleyes:) Ok! they ALL didn't go as planned! But I decided to complete them and each required I learn new skills, invest in or rent tools or call in a PRO.(Dig a 150' sewer trench anyone?) I'll try to help but I am just a guy with a keyboard and like those astronauts on Apollo 13, You are on the other end and all I can do is type, point, answer questions and explain. I'm gonna rely on your patience and perseverance. If YOU don't want to continue this journey, I understand completely! Please feel free to tell me if you are quitting! Though I Don't have a lot of pressing things to do with my time, I do have some serious Car Modifying, bike riding, beer guzzling and hot tub soaking I would be putting off helping anyone(No guilt!, My decision to help is mine alone). A friend and I had a small car resto shop in the 1990's and EVERY job grew, many grew a lot!, sometimes a little wiring, sometimes I could only do so much for the car presented to me. In those cases either the owner gave up on his car or we sent the job to a more capable shop to do those things I was not equipped for, like frame straightening, Paint, Convertible tops or big body/rust work. We replaced engines and trans, swapped rear ends, springs, front suspension rebuilds and even swapped frames! {A huge **** job raising a body 2.5feet up using, an engine hoist, floor jacks, jack stands and home made 2"X 6" wood bucks(like giant saw horses) and scrap lumber crib blocks.} WE learned a lot! I will share this knowledge/skill if you want, no charge; but as I said, You've gotta Believe in You right along with Me! Completed Goblins prove it can be done; that makes me think that just now, maybe you are "cornered". I feel sure you and anyone else so inclined can conquer any of this! All over this forum are a collection of nut jobs(I'll count my self proudly as #1 of those nut jobs!) who have over come many car obstacles, maybe not the same you face today(There is one Goblin builder who is paralyzed from the waist down! That guy is My Hero!:cool: Ya gotta Love that Guy!), but probably equally confusing. Despite the words that some used in their postings I think ALL want you to succeed. The type of person that builds a kit car is not the type that "Keeps their Light under a bushel basket". They have been set free from the constraints of "factory" and "ordinary"(this means you, DS), and they relish company there! and competition! May we all remember to be Graceful in Defeat and Victory. Thanks for reading.