Why so many masochistic car builders here???

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
This thread just boggles my mind.

I completely disagree with the OP's opinion. Guy probably read a single, 3-page build log and thought that was all the "research" he needed to do before buying his kit. Regardless, I'd like to try to turn this into something positive/constructive.

I'm a 43-year-old IT guy (network admin) by trade, with a wife of nearly 20 years and a 13-year-old daughter. Prior to the Goblin, I would have fallen into the "novice - has only changed his oil" camp. I struggled with parts of my build, including buying a first donor with a ruined engine, ruining my first harness and having to source a second one (that was not easy), and other things. My build log has like 20 pages of electrical troubleshooting, all courtesy of the good people of this forum. I had several calls (not initiated by me!) with DF, to discuss what was going on and what direction I should go next. One of the biggest contributors to actually fixing my electrical issue, was a guy on this forum who does not own a Goblin and is not even in the market for one. If THAT is not a giving, caring community, I don't know what is and frankly, I find it incredibly insulting that the original poster would even state that the help here made it worse. Consider that a burnt bridge, as far as I am concerned.

Yet, despite the above, I persevered and now have a fun, fair-weather car that I am proud to drive and show off. All because of the help I received from DF and from the forum in particular. Nobody has ever asked me a question about, or been caught staring at, either of my daily drivers ... but that happens every time I get this car out of the garage.

Thank you again, DF and forum members, for everything. DF, you gave me a "midlife crisis" outlet, something for me to "do different" in my day-to-day life and something to relieve the boredom I was seeing from working behind a computer screen every day. And forum, you gave me all the help I could ask for on a daily basis, without asking for anything in return and without a single hint of judgment. I try to remember this every day when someone around me needs help with something. I also try to pay it forward as much as possible on this forum, even though there are people better suited to help with most things.

20210303_134145.jpg

20220306_161725.jpg

As far as the kit being misrepresented on the intro page and in the ordering process, I have very few complaints. There's only a couple things I can think of to offer up. In no particular order:
  • Remove the "no drilling" graphic. Immediately under that graphic, the true requirements are stated in text: "The Goblin is Easy - No welding or fabrication skills are required." As the kit stands now, drilling is required to install the side panels (though I'd recommend going to a different mounting system - just include some rubber-coated clamps when customers include the OPTIONAL side panels). Running a drill through some places after painting/powder-coating is a must. And I'd say an impact drill is needed, as minimum, for donor disassembly.
  • On the Goblin Build Process page, it's stated partway down: "What special tools do I need? An average set of home mechanics tools can get you through the stripping process." I am nitpicking at this point, but I don't view that as entirely accurate. You need (I think) a T50 Torx driver to get the seat belt bolts out of the donor. You need a 35mm socket to get the axle nuts off of TC donors (maybe SC too, not sure). Possibly re-wording or removing that statement would be best.
  • The only other item I was going to mention here was going to be "complete the videos". The original video series ended at the front suspension I think, and I know there was a second set of videos in production to cover each individual model. Since my car has been done for two years now, I haven't paid much attention to the state of the videos ... but I went and looked at DF's YouTube channel before writing this section and there's a LOT more assembly videos now. Kudos DF! I don't know if they are "complete" at this point or not, but they are in a much better place now, than when I was building.
My closing message to the OP: we've had enough of this passive aggressiveness. If you made a mistake investing into this kit, either right your mistake by listing your unfinished kit for sale, or get over it and persevere.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

Brett

I have refrained from posting in this thread and various other threads with comments by the original poster for various reasons. I am the type of person that stands in the back of the room, takes everything in and will take action when something is grossly going wrong. I get on the forum on almost a daily basis and read the new threads and updates on older threads. I don't post unless I have specific knowledge that will address an issue that has not already been hashed out either in the specific thread or elsewhere on the forum.

Those of you who know, know. This forum and the community around DF and the Goblin has been extremely supportive of my endeavors. Not to mention the Doyle family. My build became something more than a build and a journey made up of pain, blood, sweat, tears, and triumph. I would not have become the person that I am today without this journey and I would not have the new friendships that have formed from this.

As other have said, attacking DF on this forum and trying to gather conscious that the Goblin is miss represented will garner no support.

The information is all out there. Video's, excellent build logs, posts on other social media sites. I don't believe anything was grossly miss-represented. Yes, if you go off the path of the defined build, fabrication would be involved, however you can get a cobalt, a Goblin kit, and be driving down the road with no significant fabrication. Drilling (not reaming) is technically not required until you get to stage 3 of the build and that stage is optional. Welding, only if you want to make significant changes to the frame would it then be required. I have built two Goblin's. Other than building my own exhaust (not required), I never welded on either kit.

I have been searching for the "next" build (don't tell the wife...). I have contemplated making an offer to the original poster for his uncompleted kit. However, there is no documentation remaining on what was completed or what issues there where. Without that information, it would be unwise to put an offer out there. In addition, I would not want to provide financial support to someone that has been so toxic on the forum and toward the community.

Everyday that I don't see a post from LLBenj is a better day.

Brett

Last edited:

GoblinGuyZ

Man I feel like every time I get to come on here there is at least one new post about you complaining about something that really isn't a significant issue. I mean did you honestly think you were going to build something like an entire car, kit or not and everything click together like a pack of legos with instructions? If so you've only yourself to blame for being that naive or failing to do enough research. There is nothing you are experiencing that someone else (many someones usually) hasn't already gone through and documented. The frame is completely hand welded and built from the ground up by a small family company not some industrial corporation belting out 100s of vehicles a day on a conveyor belt and to me that's actually some of the appeal. There will be minor variations in how things fit. Even the donor cars some being over 15 years old will have some variations in tolerances. The frustrations or low points in any build even a simple project car are what make you appreciate your hard work and success even more when you finally get it sorted. It's supposed to be a bit of a challenge, everything worth doing is. None of the problems I've heard you mention so far are really worthy of anything more than a question, maybe a frustrated sigh and a fresh start the next day. The fact that you are even comparing one to a Corolla or WRX means that this sort of thing is probably not for you, you're better off with a turnkey car or paying someone to assemble it. I don't want to hate on a fellow Goblin owner but it sounds like if you don't enjoy the process of building it you probably won't enjoy the process of ownership because it's a never ending tinkering game most of the time always trying to chase that perfect everything knowing you will probably never quite succeed. The fact that throughout all of your complaining no one has joined you of the 100s of people on here, many of whom I'm sure have had even more problems than you is evidence that the problem is really your perspective and not the car or the company. Anyway I genuinely hope you can get the car finished, enjoy it and maybe change your views on it all. Now go eat a snickers.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Thanks everyone that reads my babble! I know I can ramble on! I believe car building/ modifying is the intersection of art, science and individual desire. I think someone could be forced to build a Goblin, but I also believe that would turn out a bland cardboard cookie! It would lack "Je Ne Sais Quoi?" No spirit!, that singularity, that mix of aim and care only owing to its owner's individuality and manufacturing tolerances stack up, completely intangible and thus indescribable! Even if DF built a dozen Goblins, outfitted virtually identically, using only brand new parts, I imagine they would each still be individuals! A slightly lazy one, it tries but just can't seem to hit all of the marks, another that runs perfectly but for some reason feels timid, uninspired, the majority: absolutely stellar! And then..... that ONE! OH! THAT ONE just does everything perfectly! Part angel/part demon, barely saddle broke, completely individual, perfectly imperfect, an automotive temptress! That's the one I want. This is why I build. {Could it be the driver or is it the Ghost in the Machine?}

Fenix Nexen

I will chime in a bit and say that I have no automotive background but I have watched every video by DF and every goblin related video on youtube pretty much. I know I will mess up but I am reassured by this nice community and there are a couple builders just an hour away that can even stop by in their own goblins and help me if they want :)

Tinkles

It looks like I missed some things in my hiatus. My only complaints with my kit are all my own doing.