Will TPMS work?

MJP61

Hello. I am new to the forum. I am just starting out with a kit car. I am searching for a donor and have a few questions?

1. If I go with a 2009 or 2010 cobalt that has TPMS, will the TPMS system work properly when car is complete? Or will dashboard tpms light be illuminated?
2. Is there any significant difference in the donor car being automatic or manual? Is one more beneficial than the other?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum! TPMS should still work as you keep the sensor in the wire harness during the thinning process. The only big difference between auto and manual is preference. Some want the goblin to cruise in only and an automatic makes this extremely easy to do. Others prefer the manual because of the feeling of being “connected” and in control of the car. I personally wanted the manual for my build. However, having an automatic gives you the opportunity to have a versatile goblin. The automatics can handle the large tires needed for overlanding/light off-roading. The manuals you’d burn up clutches with trying to rotate large tires. If you want the ability of street tires to cruise around with and only having to swap wheels/tires (maybe spacers) to convert to a trail blazing machine, then automatic is the way to go

MJP61

Welcome to the forum! TPMS should still work as you keep the sensor in the wire harness during the thinning process. The only big difference between auto and manual is preference. Some want the goblin to cruise in only and an automatic makes this extremely easy to do. Others prefer the manual because of the feeling of being “connected” and in control of the car. I personally wanted the manual for my build. However, having an automatic gives you the opportunity to have a versatile goblin. The automatics can handle the large tires needed for overlanding/light off-roading. The manuals you’d burn up clutches with trying to rotate large tires. If you want the ability of street tires to cruise around with and only having to swap wheels/tires (maybe spacers) to convert to a trail blazing machine, then automatic is the way to go
Excellent info. Thank you. I am excited and looking forward to this project.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
TPMS is iffy because yes, it will work, but most people run the tires on a Goblin at lower pressure than a Cobalt, so the TPMS light will be lit. There's a device in development by one of our forum members that allows you to set pressure thresholds for the tires, but it's not yet available.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
TPMS is iffy because yes, it will work, but most people run the tires on a Goblin at lower pressure than a Cobalt, so the TPMS light will be lit. There's a device in development by one of our forum members that allows you to set pressure thresholds for the tires, but it's not yet available.
This is true. It’ll work, but with as light as a goblin is, we run a lot less tp, so it’ll trigger the system. I need to try it on Jason’s goblin, but my Tech2 should be able to adjust for that.

my older cobalt didn’t have tpms and I don’t worry worry about it.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Is there a way to snip the connections on the lights to keep them from being on all the time if TPS is not working?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You could cut the trace on the back of the dash. I did this for many of the lights not needed. This is from a 2007 SS/SC, your dash may be different.

DSCN0994.png

Ross

Goblin Guru
If you are taking apart your instrument cluster (it is easy to open) you can also just use electricians tape to block the light from the back of the gauge cluster film, or tape over the other side where the light is coming from. Here is the gauge cluster film up against a window.

Here I covered the LEDs I didn't want to turn on.

After I discovered that HP Tuners can turn off the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) codes, I went back and uncovered the engine light. Now if there is a new MIL condition, I will see it on my dash cluster, so that idiot light works now.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Here’s how I took care of all the lights I didn’t want on. Easy peasy