Windshield Development

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Windshield side view.JPG
Winshield rev 1 on car.JPG

We are working on a safety glass windshields and frames for the Goblin.

The windshield blank comes from a 2000 Chevy Impala. We have built a fixture that supports and locates the glass in a water jet cutting machine. Once the glass is cut to size we will use windshield adhesive to mount it to the two supports.

We were able to keep the original mirror mount that GM uses on the Impala. This will allow us to use a large selection of mirrors from different types of GM vehicles.

The windshield is curved which will give it more strength.

The windshield and side supports are spaced a half of inch off of the nose to allow for a formed rubber seal.

PG5

Have y'all made any progress on the new design? It looks really cool.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
How is this coming along? Would like to go this way instead of the plexi, But if it is a long ways off I'll go for the plexi for now.

Nuker-

BAR-AIR

Adam,
Have you been able to make up any of the side brackets for your new windshield design. I know that you where having issues with the waterjet cutting of the safety glass. I wouldn't mind trying the brackets with lexan on Nathan's car. We could still do the curve without the glass issues. The other thought we had is that if you where to use a similar aluminum cover plate that you are using on the acrylic windscreen between the two new windshield brackets to space the gap between the glass and the hood you could really simplify the cut on the bottom of the glass. If the three parts could be connected (bolted,welded) together it would also really stiffen up the assembly. The only down fall would be a little less visibility where the hood dips on the sides. On the up side, glass should have just a simple radius on the bottom because the aluminum would act as the spacer with rubber going to the hood. And possibly you may also be able to mount the wipers in the aluminum also.
THX

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I agree with Bar even if we can't get the glass I'd definitely be interested In the side supports

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
How is this new windshield coming along? I should have plates in about 2 weeks and if I can get the new one instead of the plexi I'm game!

Nuker-

BAR-AIR

Realistically I would be really surprised to see any additional add ons to the basic kit. The guys over a DFKITCAR are working at maximum speed just to get the basic kits out in a timely manner (just now getting most of the last pieces for kit #10)..... So as frustrated as we are to get the parts, they are just as frustrated about hearing about it.
With that being said, if you are going to need or want additions to your finished Goblin be ready to fabricate them on your own. I just don't see them getting to them anytime in the near future. (Not trying to bash the guys but we have been asking about the same parts since the very beginning).

BAR-AIR

Here is the build up of the upper roll cage/windshield frame for the “BLUE” Goblin. It is made up of 1 1/4” mild steel tube. It is completely removable as a single unit. The windshield is a flat piece of laminated glass cut to fit the frame and has been glued into place. The 2 tabs at the bottom of the frame are for the windshield wipers.
9DA6C192-53A0-4D2A-8FBB-6A6080A6F355.jpeg
Nate’s car I’m look to use a complete windshield and frame from a VW dune buggy (one of the Meyers or Berrien dune buggies) they come in widths from 41” to 43” stock. Problem I have had in the past with these and the Lotus 7 style frames is that everyone uses the frame to get in and out of the car bending the frame (cracking the fiberglass hood and eventually cracking the windshield itself).
FA352804-1035-4FF2-935C-B3AB32791C99.jpeg

Here is our Berrien dune buggy with the stock windshield frame (We actually made the roll cage to mirror the frame for extra support). With the 41” wide frame should be able to make a relatively simple support to bolt right into the Goblins frame.
A4DFB4AF-B4A0-467A-BF54-01DE4894BB5E.jpeg

Just a side note: (dune buggy I built couple of years ago). The wheel base is almost identical to the Goblin frame, a brand new body is about $3000.00 curious if you could mount it to the Goblin frame mating the new with the old. The performance of the Goblin with the old school look (definitely surprise everyone off the line).

terryjr

Since i'm currently in a windshield situation with Penndot, I'll share what ive found the last couple days. PA and im sure other states want to see AS1 Laminated glass in the windshield. I found flat school bus glass at the local glass shop pre stamped for DOT use. They were approx 48" wide and the guy said he could cut it down tot he size i need. Problem was i need 54" wide. They also had 84" wide glass but it was 28.5" tall. I need 30.7" So im still on the hunt, but if yours is under 48", the school bus option will pass even the most stubborn inspectors.

Last edited:

Matt TT

View attachment 804View attachment 805
We are working on a safety glass windshields and frames for the Goblin.

The windshield blank comes from a 2000 Chevy Impala. We have built a fixture that supports and locates the glass in a water jet cutting machine. Once the glass is cut to size we will use windshield adhesive to mount it to the two supports.

We were able to keep the original mirror mount that GM uses on the Impala. This will allow us to use a large selection of mirrors from different types of GM vehicles.

The windshield is curved which will give it more strength.

The windshield and side supports are spaced a half of inch off of the nose to allow for a formed rubber seal.
Anyone know of any updates with this? I’m still trying to pass my inspection and all they said last time was the windyneeds to Ben safety glass, otherwise I’m good to go I think.

Matt TT

Here is the build up of the upper roll cage/windshield frame for the “BLUE” Goblin. It is made up of 1 1/4” mild steel tube. It is completely removable as a single unit. The windshield is a flat piece of laminated glass cut to fit the frame and has been glued into place. The 2 tabs at the bottom of the frame are for the windshield wipers.View attachment 3207
Any chance you’re selling these?

BAR-AIR

Good Afternoon,
Happy Thanksgiving ....

Just a thought working with that Bradley GT body which the original cars use the windshield out of a 63’ thru 67’ corvette readily available less then $300.00. The frame is nothing more than fiberglass (granted people re enforce them when they use it as a stand-alone without the roof section). Is there a way to use an MG, Super Beetle or ??? And make a similar style fiberglass frame to fit a smaller cheaper laminated glass windshield?

THX,
Bruce
46867C98-6654-4D42-A293-A32D3C986F27.jpeg