Windshield Development

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Good Afternoon,
Happy Thanksgiving ....

Just a thought working with that Bradley GT body which the original cars use the windshield out of a 63’ thru 67’ corvette readily available less then $300.00. The frame is nothing more than fiberglass (granted people re enforce them when they use it as a stand-alone without the roof section). Is there a way to use an MG, Super Beetle or ??? And make a similar style fiberglass frame to fit a smaller cheaper laminated glass windshield?

THX,
Bruce
View attachment 6295
Happy Thanksgiving to you too Bruce! Good thinking on the windshield! As you alluded to, there must be some readily-available windshields that would adapt well to the Goblin hood shape.

BAR-AIR

Good Evening,
Just some pictures of the two different windshield we made up for the two different Goblins.
CBB4ED9D-902E-4535-93F4-5E880FC36125.jpeg

Refined the initial fillet to just a formed piece of aluminum. Removed the powered wipers (powered ones aren’t technically need for yearly inspection) working on individual manual wipers that can be stored beneath the seats and then slide through the mounting grommets if ever needed.
CCE4C156-4521-404D-A77F-846F61C0E1DD.jpeg

To Nathans and my dismay the windshield and roll bar that we intended to swap onto his car does not work... ends up the geometry of the two cars are different. So we have the VEE shaped windshield that will stay on his car.
8E1F1D37-393E-4383-A79F-18C83824BE55.jpeg

Two biggest concerns, while the vee shape strengthened the windshield a lot still have the problem with people using the windshield frame to get in and out of the car (probably not a big deal but still a concern). And the second, is trying to build a Bimini top for the car the roll cage version is pretty simple the VEE shaped version is going to be a pain.
F29B6A0C-B3B0-4C52-8215-FEED26650245.jpeg

Currently the height is set for me so about 5’-10”.
5A0348F0-31D9-47A0-90A6-D3801BC11E1D.jpeg

The nice thing with the VEE shaped mounting we can raise and lower the height of the windshield to adjust it to different heights for taller drivers we can also change the rake of it for personal preference. Obviously we will need to work with the hood to adjust also.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I like Bruce's idea of using a C2 corvette windshield, as it has a lot of curvature in a small windshield.

I'm wanting to lay the window down as much as I can, as fast cars have laid back curved windshields, and slow vehicles have vertical flat windshields. The Cobalt has the windshield at 26.6 degrees, which is a lot more than what I could get out of the Goblin.

Here I mocked up a black line to represent the hood line. By stealing 10" of the hood, and turning it into a front dash board, I was able to get the windshield (blue line) to 36.6 degrees. I also ended the window a few inches short of where the halo bar would be. (The orange level represents the halo heighth.)

If I steal more than 10" for the dash, I can get more angle, but then you would have to relocate the master brake reservoir. I stopped at 10" so that the reservoir cap would be under the front hood. The picture makes it look like the reservoir cap is in the dash, but it isn't.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
My latest quest is to get windshield dimensions on small cars like the Fiat 500, the Chevy Spark, or any other tiny car that I can find.
If you see one in a parking lot, pull out your handy tape measure, and get the width, highth, and estimate depth of glass curvature. :)
Is anyone else interested in a curved, DOT glass windshield & frame?

Thank you, Bruce (BAR-AIR) and Dale Elliott, for helping me with dimensions for the 64 vette, VW super beetle and Karmann Ghia
and Adam & Lonny for multiple conversations on windshields.
So far every windshield has trade offs.
The vette window comes stock with a green stripe, and pointy corners. A few suppliers have clear glass, but it gets expensive.
The 71 Super beetle is almost flat, but the 73 beetle has lots of curve, but is hard to find, as is the Karmann Ghia window.
All options are still open... just wanting more options.

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I am definitely interested. I need a laminated glass windshield to get registered in my state. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Motoracer110

I am definitely interested. I need a laminated glass windshield to get registered in my state. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
well after i pass my inspection mine is coming off anyone want my mounts i made just need to pay for shipping

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
well after i pass my inspection mine is coming off anyone want my mounts i made just need to pay for shipping
DIBS?! Can I call dibs on that?

Haha, I view this as a "pay it forward" type of gesture. I'm nowhere near ready for them, but if they're available closer to my inspection time down the road, I'd gladly take you up on that offer, and do the same in return for the next man up.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru

Haha, I view this as a "pay it forward" type of gesture. I'm nowhere near ready for them, but if they're available closer to my inspection time down the road, I'd gladly take you up on that offer, and do the same in return for the next man up.
I hate to burst your bubble. But remember PA will affix your inspection sticker to the windshield. Just so you can think about what you will do with your glass and sticker after you pass the brackets on to the next guy.

Motoracer110

Awesome they are yours, Ill let you know when im done with the mounts. they have brackets for your mirrors and a windshield wiper mount ready to go

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Another windshield to consider - MG and MG Midget. They may be almost the right width, height and curve some may be looking for.

EDIT: the best information I can locate is the Midget windshield is 46" width and 14" height with only slight bow about 2".

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I keep circling back to this every so often. I can pretty much tell you don’t bother with oem cars. There’s nothing that comes even close to the ~40” between mirror mounts that the goblin has. Even the Saturn sky windshield is about 10” too wide.

maybe a windshield off a KTM Xbow, or radical could be made to work but now you’re talking about $$$$$

I wish I could get my hands on an Ariel atom windshield, even that’s too wide but could be made to work with a lot of body work adjustment.

BAR-AIR

Good Evening,
I have been working on windshields as long (possibly longer then Adam) for the Goblin. Seeing that it was a requirement for NY DOT from day one on my build (2016). I haven’t found one OEM windshield that is even close to 40”- 42” in width. Some of the British cars are close but the earlier ones are not AS1 glass as required by most states requiring a windshield. The only recommendation would be to find a windshield with the correct center curve and straight cut either the two edges or center cut and seam the center. Bruce Meyer’s is back in the dune buggy building business with the (Manx). I’m not sure of which windshield he is using but he has a curved windshield with a fiberglass mounting structure that connects with the front body (looks very good plus the dune buggies front is in the 41” - 45” width).
THX,
Bruce

Motoracer110

Good Evening,
I have been working on windshields as long (possibly longer then Adam) for the Goblin. Seeing that it was a requirement for NY DOT from day one on my build (2016). I haven’t found one OEM windshield that is even close to 40”- 42” in width. Some of the British cars are close but the earlier ones are not AS1 glass as required by most states requiring a windshield. The only recommendation would be to find a windshield with the correct center curve and straight cut either the two edges or center cut and seam the center. Bruce Meyer’s is back in the dune buggy building business with the (Manx). I’m not sure of which windshield he is using but he has a curved windshield with a fiberglass mounting structure that connects with the front body (looks very good plus the dune buggies front is in the 41” - 45” width).
THX,
Bruce
I have found this windshield to be perfect width and height for the goblin.
42” it’s the exact width as the mirror mount slots on the goblin frame. As1 safety glass as well it’s a win win