Windshield Development

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I put a deep scratch in a gauge cluster removing a dash years ago, when I worked at a dealership. That stuff took the scratch completely out. Works amazing.
So this Novus stuff is safe for the DF windshield? I'd like to try to eliminate the scratch my wife gifted upon my Goblin so generously.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
So this Novus stuff is safe for the DF windshield? I'd like to try to eliminate the scratch my wife gifted upon my Goblin so generously.
Not so much an “Is it safe” thing. Its whether it will work. Its not gonna make things worse.

Depends on whether the windshield is lexan, acrylic (plexiglass) or polycarbonate. I’m not sure what it is made from myself.

One of those three (polycarbonate, I think) is **** near impossible to remove scratches and hazing from.

Edit: Lexan is polycarbonate.

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
According to DF's site, the windshield is polycarbonate, so I guess I will stop thinking about it.

Goblin Graber

According to DF's site, the windshield is polycarbonate, so I guess I will stop thinking about it.
I don’t have any but I’ll see if my dad does tomorrow. If so I’ll put a good scratch in mine where I’m going to cut it out in the middle. I’m sure I’ll be able to buff it out.

How bad is the scratch?

Brian74

Goblin Guru
There are also different grades of lexan & acrylic; kind of like metals. Its certainly worth a try.

I just remember trying everything I could think of to clear up an old boat windshield once. Nothing worked, lol.

Goblin Guru
It's not deep ... it's also not a straight line, it's more of a "scuff patch" than an actual scratch, I guess. My hood (with windshield attached) is propped against the wall of my garage, where she typically has no business going (I don't mean that to sound rude, just saying, there's nothing there for her on that side of the garage and thus she never goes over there), and it's covered in multiple blankets, including over the windshield which is about 1" off the garage floor. I tucked half of the blanket under the windshield, and wrapped the other half over the top of it.

Well, she took our deck furniture inside due to an impending snow storm, and decided to use the free spot in the garage to store it. Not only did she plop the leg of one of the chairs down on top of the windshield, she even removed the blanket first to use it to cover the chairs, thinking it was an extra. I do not know how she didn't notice the shiny windshield reflecting light back at her or whatever, but it is what it is.

I was mad as a hornet at first, but at the end of the day, I only blame myself for putting the windshield in a situation where it could be scratched.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Also, there is an abrasive out there called micromesh that works super well for detail work and polishing. Popular with modelers. I have had some pretty amazing results using it in various small detail applications.

Tim Moland

I use novus 2 and novus 1. It works well. If you have a deep scratch, it will take a lot of elbow grease. I was told not to use novus 3 because it would cause scratches instead of fixing them.

benjy

My neighbor runs a big local tint shop, he said the best way to protect polycarbonate is by covering both sides with clear bra. He said it will still scratch a bit, but when it warms up in direct sunlight the scratches disappear.

Another off topic side note, you can get an extra sheet of polycarbonate from Home Depot for about $80 that would be enough to cut out 2 new windshields. Just use the scratched up df one as a template.

Tim Moland

Update guys. I received an old scratched up piece of polycarbonate from Dale E. The idea was to do some testing to see what worked best to clear these windshields up. My first try was to use a heat gun like a few videos I had seen online. Big mistake!! It didn't clear up anything, but it warped the poly and caused micro bubbles inside. Dont try it. I then bought a bottle of Novus 3 and a 3" pneumatic buffer from harbor freight. Right on the back of the Novus 3 bottle it says do not use on polycarbonate. I had really good results! Novus 3 did a good job of removing the heavier scratches. It did leave the windshield "hazy". Then I hit it with the Novus 2. This removed the "hazy" micro scratches. Then I followed up with Novus 1 with a microfiber towel. So recap... I went over both sides of the windshield twice with Novus 3 and the buffer, then twice with the Novus 2 and the buffer, followed by Novus 1 with the microfiber towel. Here is an example of a 3" area I tried on Dale E's old windshield.
20201230_032945.jpg

Give it a try.

Goblin Graber

Great job fixing that windshield. 3” pneumatic buffers are awesome! What kind of pad did you use on the buffer?

Grab a 3” DA sander and you can do miracles with old headlights and scratches in paint too.

Tim Moland

I used the foam pads that came with the buffer. The orange pad for the Novus 3 and the white pad for the 2. I applied the Novus to the pad with a couple drops. Then dotted the area I was going to buff with the pad. I buffed till the polish was "dry", then polished the dry off with a microfiber towel by hand. I worked in small 12" areas.
20210107_122525.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
Any 2 builders interest in a curved, low angle, polycarbonate windscreen?
I'm guessing $200 to 250 for a hardened, scratch resistant, UV protected polycarbonate windscreen,
some mounting hardware, and trim molding.

The green zone is always flopping in the wind, so I was thinking of bracing it from behind.
When I do, it also can be a mounting point for the polycarbonate.

The top corners will be secured with a P clamp and a bolt.

The closest to the steering wheel is 4" away, so no issues knocking knuckles.

The curvy tape line shows how far down the hood that the clear polycarbonate would reach.
The top 1/3 of the hood is visible thru the windscreen.

If you want to try a cardboard template for your car, here is a starting layout.
Scale it so the dots inside the green circles are 18" apart,
and the dots in the red circles are 48" apart.
I am thinking about trimming at the purple lines so that it fits on a 60" piece of polycarbonate.

For the bottom section of the windshield, I was planning on using this clear edge trim where it contacts the hood.
So this template is 29" high, and 60" wide.
This sheet would be big enough to make 3 windshields.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I took the cardboard for a test drive today, and made a few modifications.
The air was hitting me on the forehead, so I will be tipping it up a little bit to get the air over my head.
I also rounded off the top corners a bit, to make it fit inside a 24" x 60" rectangle.
I have ordered some .090" polycarbonate that I will use for the prototype. It is a bit thinner than the .118" I was wanting, but I will see if it is thick enough to support the air load on it. The thinner the better, because I want it cheap enough to replace often, and live with less scratches.
I also ordered some paint protection film, to protect the wrap where the windscreen molding will rest on it.

Last edited:

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Now that you got your hip cool track halo, are you still having the windscreen attach to it or be self supporting. I am also looking at this option but with a city frame so I need it self supporting.

Joe

Ross

Goblin Guru
I am planning on attaching it at the 4 corners, and letting air pressure hold it on the top of the hood.
Hopefully a C channel slot at the corners that the polycarbonate slips into.

If you have the city frame, just add some small A pillars like in Lonny's design. Or attach it to the top of the hood.

Alex Eddington added some small A pillars too.

Last edited:

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I’m liking the curved polycarbonate windscreen. I wonder if the experimental aircraft suppliers would have thicker polycarbonate to use?

Ross

Goblin Guru
This supplier has thicker polycarbonate... but the thick stuff doesn't bend as well, costs more, and scratches just as easily.
Unless you are stopping bullets, why do want it thicker?