Windshield Help Needed

Adam in CLE

Hi All,

In order to pass state inspection, I need to add safety glass. I am going back and forth in my mind about options for mounting it and have seen several pictures on the forum but it's hard to tell some of the intricacies without seeing it in person or close-up pictures. For those who have already made their windshield, I would love to pick your brain. Would you PM me and I'll send you my number? I'm trying to keep the cost on this part of the build to as low as possible since I already have the windscreen that DF sells.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would make it a cheap as possible and not care how it looks. Just a basic frame the shape of the halo side bars and some temporary clamps to hold it in. Hardest part is finding someone to cut laminated glass.

Adam in CLE

That's the plan but having no experience on the parts available from production to hardware store stuff, every time I think I have it figured out, the glass cutter can't do what is needed, or no local steel supply places. Home depot doesn't have any sheet steel either.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would make it a cheap as possible and not care how it looks. Just a basic frame the shape of the halo side bars and some temporary clamps to hold it in. Hardest part is finding someone to cut laminated glass.
And then sell it to the next person that needs it to pass inspection, unless you need it to pass an annual inspection.

mjgrusni

I've been terrible at updating my build progress. I designed a simple windshield that passed in MI. It's a simple flat frame that was plasma cut and mounted to the frame with some clamps that went around the tubing for the roll cage. A local glass place was able to cut a piece of AS-1 to the shape of my frame and glued it on. Here's a not-great picture of it on the car, and some pictures of what I was doing when I was mocking it up. I can post more info later if you're interested.
PXL_20220719_192004560.jpg
PXL_20220205_004602550.jpg

ChrisH

I've been terrible at updating my build progress. I designed a simple windshield that passed in MI. It's a simple flat frame that was plasma cut and mounted to the frame with some clamps that went around the tubing for the roll cage. A local glass place was able to cut a piece of AS-1 to the shape of my frame and glued it on. Here's a not-great picture of it on the car, and some pictures of what I was doing when I was mocking it up. I can post more info later if you're interested.View attachment 40469View attachment 40470
I think this is one of the best looking laminated glass windshields I have seen on the forum, well done and congrats. I'm planning to also install a laminated glass/DOT windshield this winter. It would be great and much appreciated if you could post more info on your setup. I think I would really like to try to copy it. And it has the wiper integrated. Really impressive.

mjgrusni

I think this is one of the best looking laminated glass windshields I have seen on the forum, well done and congrats. I'm planning to also install a laminated glass/DOT windshield this winter. It would be great and much appreciated if you could post more info on your setup. I think I would really like to try to copy it. And it has the wiper integrated. Really impressive.
Thank you for the compliment. I will work on getting some more detailed info together this weekend, including my drawing of the frame used by the plasma cutting place.

ChrisH

That would be great thanks, but no need to hurry if you have other things to do work on. I won't be at that stage of getting things street legal until this fall at the earliest. Thanks again.

Keckster

I custom designed a minimalistic clamp style frame that required no glue. The aluminum laser cut frame was about $140, Glass $190, and had standoff mounts made to mount to the frame for $160. Total came out around $500 which is pretty pricey I guess but I couldn't be happier with the results

IMG_1131.jpg