Windshield hits steering wheel when raised

Oldchevyguy

Is this normal? Mounted the windshield today. When I raise the hood it hits the steering wheel. The hood dosent go up too far as a result. I thought about getting and thing to remove the wheel. Quick disconnect. Is this answer,? Or am I missing something?

Tim Moland

How would someone tilt the hood up with the way it is attached? The front slides under the radiator support bracket.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
By doing it a little different! And it works. Hotroding is about changing things to make it better, make it your own!
I like the idea. But I would never be able to get that in my garage or through the neighborhood with the speed bumps, without tearing it off.

Oldchevyguy

The "bumper" is one inch tubing, so I loose 1 inch of ground clearance is guess. BUT, the tubing is there to PROTECT the fragile fiberglass from speed bumps and those deadly parking curb stops!

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I like the idea. But I would never be able to get that in my garage or through the neighborhood with the speed bumps, without tearing it off.
I drag the radiator mount leaving my driveway if I don't hit it at the right angle.

Oldchevyguy

I have a factory 5 GTM also, which is very low. I built a skid plate around and under the oil pan to protect it. I also got some thick plastic the metal guy had off of the bottom of an air boat. Air boats are very common here in florida. Screwed it on with counersunk holes. You might want to do something like that if you scrape a lot. Not only does it protect, it has lubrication properties. Just a thought.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Is this normal? Mounted the windshield today. When I raise the hood it hits the steering wheel. The hood dosent go up too far as a result. I thought about getting and thing to remove the wheel. Quick disconnect. Is this answer,? Or am I missing something?
I'm confused by your question though. You took a totally different route for the hood but then wanted to know if the issues that came up were normal.

Oldchevyguy

I thought the hood was originally designed to flip up. After all, why wouldnt you want it to? I didnt want to remove mine and set it potentially on the ground and damage it. Not only for battery and master cylinder service, but my build has the main fuse box under the hood. I didnt use the BCM at all. Conventional wiring harness I made with a stand alone engine harness setup. I like this so much that I plan to build my second one that way also. I'm building two to give to my kids, after I'm tired of it of course.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I thought the hood was originally designed to flip up. After all, why wouldnt you want it to? I didnt want to remove mine and set it potentially on the ground and damage it. Not only for battery and master cylinder service, but my build has the main fuse box under the hood. I didnt use the BCM at all. Conventional wiring harness I made with a stand alone engine harness setup. I like this so much that I plan to build my second one that way also. I'm building two to give to my kids, after I'm tired of it of course.
well welcome me to the family and call me cousin. I'll take a blue one.... :)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
By doing it a little different! And it works. Hotroding is about changing things to make it better, make it your own!
I did not ever see any pics of how the hood turned out. What hinges did you end up using? Any pics of it raised?