Winter Weather Thread

GoblinGal

Goblin Guru
Definitely bone chilling cold but I'm glad to be able to work from home for all you awesome Goblin family members! My home lost power for 9 hours on Saturday but thankfully inside temp never dropped below 56. Keeping thermostat @ 67 today, trying to do my part of not using too much electricity while over 2 million Texans have none. Stay warm & safe y'all!!!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Don’t go backpedaling on us now. In a few days it will be 70 and we will be out driving the goblins.
Eh you know. It was one thing when you guys weren't actually dealing with Mother Nature's wrath. I don't want to upset anyone and now, the upset would be justified so I just apologized and changed it. :)

Brett

Ugh, apparently my water feed line is not deep enough and is frozen. Still no power but got a line ran to my neighbors generator and have the fridge and internet up.

Next up, rig up the blower on the heater. Going to wait on that to see what happens with power over the next few hours. Going to have to walk the wife through that process since I shouldn't go up attic stairs right now.

Hope all the others dealing with this don't have too much damage.

pisco

Ugh, apparently my water feed line is not deep enough and is frozen. Still no power but got a line ran to my neighbors generator and have the fridge and internet up.

Next up, rig up the blower on the heater. Going to wait on that to see what happens with power over the next few hours. Going to have to walk the wife through that process since I shouldn't go up attic stairs right now.

how did that come out?
As an alternative to her doing it in the attic you could pull the furnace feed from the breaker and wire it from there. Just an idea

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Eh you know. It was one thing when you guys weren't actually dealing with Mother Nature's wrath. I don't want to upset anyone and now, the upset would be justified so I just apologized and changed it. :)
You know us Texans carry big guns and stuff. :eek::D
no biggie. This thing is a weird one. Can’t prepare for something like this when you are use to 100* weather.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
how did that come out?
As an alternative to her doing it in the attic you could pull the furnace feed from the breaker and wire it from there. Just an idea
Just make **** sure that wire only directly to the allpiance and not to the breaker panel in any way! If you wire to the panel, you could end up back feeding the line and put a poor lineman or someone else in danger.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru

Keep an eye on your water meter after it thaws out. My sister had a break in her feed line and didn't know it and it dumped 33,000 gallons into the ground. No signs of water or anything, just a HUGE water bill.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Keep an eye on your water meter after it thaws out. My sister had a break in her feed line and didn't know it and it dumped 33,000 gallons into the ground. No signs of water or anything, just a HUGE water bill.
That is what I am looking for. Survived last night with no power. Got down to 37 in the house. Dripped the inside faucets but not the outside ones. 2 of 4 are still frozen. Hope everything is ok when it thaws. Every neighbor that I know of on my street has busted pipes in the house or garage. hope I don't become one of them as it all thaws out. Got power back this afternoon and still a chilly 54F in the house. didn't have to worry about the food going bad. the kitchen countertop was colder than the fridge and outside was colder than the freezer, so we didn't lose anything. Hope everyone in Texas and around fare well. I agree, this is no bid deal for northerners, but our houses and plumbing were not built for these temps and with no power to heat them, became a big mess for many. Saw on the news that this was the worst winter storm in 122 years in Texas and we got to live like it too. :)

Joe

pisco

Just make **** sure that wire only directly to the allpiance and not to the breaker panel in any way! If you wire to the panel, you could end up back feeding the line and put a poor lineman or someone else in danger.
yes
To be clear I mean disconnect the branch circuit from the breaker and neutral bar and joint a male ended appliance cord to the branch conductor. Plug this into an extension cord and you should be good to go.
not sure if it’s a thing down there but we are required to install an ssy or ssu so it should be fused at the furnace. Always use caution especially when the power comes back on. I’d recommend opening the main for safety while the cover is off, this also prevents accidental backfeed on the line. Those transformers run in reverse too so it could be 4160 or 13,800 volts to the lineman from the generator if that were to happen.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
yes
To be clear I mean disconnect the branch circuit from the breaker and neutral bar and joint a male ended appliance cord to the branch conductor. Plug this into an extension cord and you should be good to go.
not sure if it’s a thing down there but we are required to install an ssy or ssu so it should be fused at the furnace. Always use caution especially when the power comes back on. I’d recommend opening the main for safety while the cover is off, this also prevents accidental backfeed on the line. Those transformers run in reverse too so it could be 4160 or 13,800 volts to the lineman from the generator if that were to happen.
Good to know you are in the know. You just never know who don't know. :)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Flip off the main breaker in the panel to disconnect from the utility feed and then power your house with another source (generator) to ensure your not feeding power back to the utility grid.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
That is what I am looking for. Survived last night with no power. Got down to 37 in the house. Dripped the inside faucets but not the outside ones. 2 of 4 are still frozen. Hope everything is ok when it thaws. Every neighbor that I know of on my street has busted pipes in the house or garage. hope I don't become one of them as it all thaws out. Got power back this afternoon and still a chilly 54F in the house. didn't have to worry about the food going bad. the kitchen countertop was colder than the fridge and outside was colder than the freezer, so we didn't lose anything. Hope everyone in Texas and around fare well. I agree, this is no bid deal for northerners, but our houses and plumbing were not built for these temps and with no power to heat them, became a big mess for many. Saw on the news that this was the worst winter storm in 122 years in Texas and we got to live like it too. :)

Joe
A sad update but at least one of my pipes thawed and revealed that it burst over the covered patio on the way to the garage. That makes 100% of known houses on my street to suffer with a break. So right now it is 31F, raining, with no power and no water. At least I told my boss, no work.

Joe

Brett

we wired directly to the appliance and are still married. Also killed the main breaker to the house, just in case.

We are on about 36 hours with no power but having heat is awesome.

GoblinGal

Goblin Guru
Hey y'all, just a quick update: DF Kit Car's Office & Shop are back open today. While the winter weather & single digit temps are still throwing us for loops, we're pressing on!

We hate reading & hearing about so many folks being effected by this Winter Storm across the Nation. Stay safe & warm. If you're able to, reach out to neighbors, etc & make sure folks are okay.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Got electric now and water is good so far. We now have a new worry, ice. We are at 33* with freezing rain. The ice is collecting and weighing down the trees. Now we get to worry about them breaking and taking out something. Gonna be another fun day.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Got electric now and water is good so far. We now have a new worry, ice. We are at 33* with freezing rain. The ice is collecting and weighing down the trees. Now we get to worry about them breaking and taking out something. Gonna be another fun day.
You should move to PA, where we already expect this fun stuff. :D:D:D