Wire color and location mismatch

MSDT74

Here is the quick version. Body to Dash connector is what I am working with on a 2006 LS donor.

Label print out: Body D3 RD/WH Accessory Power
Dash D4(misprint, I think because its on the Left column with all of the other Body labels) RD/WH OBD2 power. This wire in the D4 spot is actually blue.

Dash side: Dash D3 RD/WH Accessory Power
Dash D4 RD/WH OBD2 Power. This wire in the D4 spot is actually blue.

Not my first rodeo with wiring harnesses. This is what I discovered from looking at my Dash to Body connector. Body side has 1 RD/WH wire in D3 and 1 Lt. Blue wire in D4.
Dash side has 2RD/WH wires in D3(one from accessory plug and one to the OBD2). D4 has 1 Lt. Blue wire that goes to a connector on the upper brake pedal switch.

I know what my gut is telling me to do. Extend the blue wire back to normal. Since I eliminated my accessory plug that only leaves me to extend the "accessory power" wire back to the RD/WH OBD2 wire.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Steve

Goblin Graber

Stupid question...are you sure you are looking at the connectors right? Mine donor was an 08 so not exactly the same but every wire matched up color for color on both of connectors for me.

MSDT74

Yep, I am looking at the connector right. The wire colors on both connectors match, its the labels that do not match the wire color and location.

Goblin Graber

I reread your first post. I was confused. I thought they didn’t match from one side to the other. I think your gut is right on the using the acc wire to power the OBD. As long as you get power to pin 16 of the OBD that will work.
E5B32207-270D-4EA4-978E-557B9224D5E9.jpeg

Just extend that light blue wire and connect them together when you bring the harnesses together.

MSDT74

Thanks for the response. I had in my mind to do that all along, especially since the colors on both sides of the connector are the same. I am just checking to see if anyone else has ran into this same problem. Thanks again.

Goblin Graber

I definitely ran into some differences doing my 08 base model harness. This wasn’t one of them. Wires must be different on an early model.

You will have a battery current sensor on the negative battery cable that isn’t talked about in the videos. It’s something a base model needs that the SS cars don’t.

Is yours a five speed or automatic?

MSDT74

Yep. I haven't seen anything in any of the videos yet on the negative cable and current sensor. I am guessing that I will run across it eventually. It has to be soo because I am starting to combine the dash and body harnesses at this point. However, it is HIGHLY likely that I missed it in all of the madness. Hehe

Goblin Graber

Yep. I haven't seen anything in any of the videos yet on the negative cable and current sensor. I am guessing that I will run across it eventually. It has to be soo because I am starting to combine the dash and body harnesses at this point. However, it is HIGHLY likely that I missed it in all of the madness. Hehe
No you didn’t miss it. Lonny is working on a 5 speed turbo harness in the video. Those cars don’t have battery current sensors. There’s also some stuff you have to do for the automatic. Take a look at my build log and you will see posts 14 and 16 talk about both these things.

Last edited: