Wiring Harness Tools

PyroGuy923

I'll be working on my wiring harness here in the up coming weeks (08 SS Turbo)

Looking for recommendations on tools / nice to haves when doing the harness.

Saw that WireCare.com has a bunch of stuff. How many of what size heat shrink and other things are needed?
https://www.wirecare.com/category/heatshrink-tubing/heatshrink-kits/heat-shrink-kits/hsk2-bk-k-2-1-general-purpose-hs-tubing-kit-110-pcs-6-6-sizes-black

Anyone use a braided wrap on their harness?
https://www.wirecare.com/interest/safety/protective-sleeving/flexo-wrap-flame-retardant/fwf1.25tb-flexo-wrap-1-1-4-black-fr-3-ft-cuts

Here is what I have already:
  • Crenova MS8233D Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter
  • Hakko Micro Cutter
  • WLC200 80 Watt Soldering Station
  • ST Series Soldering Tips, Set of 5 Shapes

RouteAbel

Recommend a cheap label maker. You are going to want some heat shrink tubes and a heat gun/hair dryer or a lighter.

I also recommend some velcro strip to use as temporary wire ties.

Dsteinhorst

On someone else's recommendation, I used Tesa tape instead of electrical tape and I love it. 5-6 long rolls will do it.

I think I only used 1/8 and 3/16 shrink tube. Probably 10 feet total if you're generous.

I only ended up using one tip on my iron.

Those cutters will be super nice.

PyroGuy923

Recommend a cheap label maker. You are going to want some heat shrink tubes and a heat gun/hair dryer or a lighter.

I also recommend some velcro strip to use as temporary wire ties.
Have a heat gun. Label maker for wires, connectors, or both?
Also, get yourself one of THESE. A true must-have.

Did you use it for the aligator clips more or the magnifying glass?

On someone else's recommendation, I used Tesa tape instead of electrical tape and I love it. 5-6 long rolls will do it.
This stuff?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYZDN2X/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01LYZDN2X&pd_rd_w=WJpPM&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=rV0EE&pf_rd_r=MV6S9C7CQKGNNQRH5G23&pd_rd_r=fc500895-0011-4c69-a275-8802d189f55e&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSjE0WlVYUUo1TVczJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDg1MzA3MVJUSTVFNUE3S09DRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjQyMjg2MVdBR1dBT0VSS1RORSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

I think I only used 1/8 and 3/16 shrink tube. Probably 10 feet total if you're generous.

I only ended up using one tip on my iron.

Those cutters will be super nice.
the tesa tape is 21st century compared to the old plastic stuff........

Dsteinhorst

Any issues with the outside elements? Looks like it's cloth and more for interior stuff.
My harness has been complete since noon today so unfortunately I can't comment. :p I'm sure it holds a bit more water than the rubber stuff, but it has a plastic layer, so I doubt it transmits it through.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I used Tesa tape on my engine harness. I'm also not running a cover. It's been exposed to sunlight, power washer, engine oil, and antifreeze for the past 12,000 miles. It's still looks like the day I wrapped it.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Did you use it for the aligator clips more or the magnifying glass?
Specifically the alligator clips. It's much easier to hold a soldering iron in one hand, solder in the other hand, and have a third hand holding onto the wires for you.

Murcielago311

This right here. You can see the glue squeeze out when it shrinks. I bought 2 but 1 will do a harness and more as long as you cut the tubes down.

PyroGuy923

I used Tesa tape on my engine harness. I'm also not running a cover. It's been exposed to sunlight, power washer, engine oil, and antifreeze for the past 12,000 miles. It's still looks like the day I wrapped it.
Thanks.

Specifically the alligator clips. It's much easier to hold a soldering iron in one hand, solder in the other hand, and have a third hand holding onto the wires for you.
Awesome. Thanks.

This right here. You can see the glue squeeze out when it shrinks. I bought 2 but 1 will do a harness and more as long as you cut the tubes down.
Any added benefit to the glue?

These are so handy

Already had a pair. Thanks.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
So I just learned that these heat shrink cartridges will work in the cheap Dymo LM160 label makers. This is awesome.

Lndshrk Steve

There are a few different types of TESA tape. 51608 is for interior (dash) use. 51036 is high heat, for engine compartment use. Being an open engine compartment, I'm not sure how high the temperatures will get but the wires do run close to, if not on, the engine.