Wiring rear lights

barichuk

The rear lights have three wires, red, black and white, and the harness has four, yellow (l), dark green (r), light green, brown and black. How do I connect them?

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru

barichuk

I hate to be so simple minded about this, but I need a very simple 'this color from the harness goes to this color from the light and these from the harness go to this from the light'. I am reminded of the line from Galaxy Quest where the villain says 'Explain to him as you would a child'.

barichuk

The headlights and the mirrors have wires that match the harness, so I won't have a problem with them. The harness and the rear lights don't match number or color. The lights have two plugs, one with three wires (red, black and white), and one with two wires (red and white, if I remember correctly). The harness has four wires on each side (yellow on the left, dark green on the right, and light green, brown and black on both sides). I plan on cutting off the plugs and soldering the wires together. Since I have a mis-match in both number and color, I don't know which wire(s) from the harness go to which wire(s) from the lights. Can someone tell me very simply to which wire I connect the yellow (left) wire, to which wire I connect the dark green (right) wire, etc.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I think the wire information may be molded into the back of the light. If not, I know the two whites are grounds and will hook to the black wire. For the others, you can touch the white wires to the negative side of a battery or a battery charger and then cycle through the other wires to see what lights up.
The browns are taillights and the light greens are backup lights.

YeLlow is Left
GReen is Right

barichuk

I think the wire information may be molded into the back of the light. If not, I know the two whites are grounds and will hook to the black wire. For the others, you can touch the white wires to the negative side of a battery or a battery charger and then cycle through the other wires to see what lights up.
The browns are taillights and the light greens are backup lights.

YeLlow is Left
GReen is Right
[/Q

barichuk

Got it figured! From the lights there are two connectors, one with a red and a white wire, and one with a red, a white and a black wire. The two white wires are both ground, the red with the one white wire is reverse. The other red is turn/brake and the black is tail. Apparently the reverse circuit is separate because it only works with its own ground.