Wisconsin Registration

XJLIFE

Wisconsin Procedure.

• Request Manufacture Certificate of Origin and Invoice from DF Kit Car.
  • Title the Vehicle
    • Cost = $69.50 (As of 2019)
    • Wisconsin DMV Form MV1 (Standard Title Application)
    • https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/formdocs/mv1.pdf
    • Fill Entire form out.
    • Section B
      • VIN Number is the Goblins Frame Number
      • 1957 - Lotus - Replica
    • Section F
      • Select Special Plates - Other
  • Apply for Plates
    • Cost = $200.00 (As of 2019)
    • Wisconsin DMV FORM MV2388 (Hobbyist License Plates page 1 of 2 Information and Application)
    • https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/formdocs/mv2388.pdf
    • Fill out third Line of Section A (Replica Section)
      • VIN From Goblin Frame - 1957 - Lotus - Seven
Here is the letter (minus information filled in) that I used to get my vehicle registered (Included with the application forms)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Department of Transportation,
I am applying for a title for my <Year> DF Goblin Kit Car, which is a replica of a 1957 Lotus Seven.
The bulk of the kit is from a company called DF Kit Car. They are based out of Texas and I purchased the main frame and key components directly through them.
Phone: (469) 552-9366
Email: [email protected]

The motor in the kit car is from the following vehicle that was titled to me. <Also include information about the status of the rest of the car if it has already been sent to a recycling center>
Donor Car Information
<Year> <Make> <Model> <Color> <VIN>

If there are any issues with this application please feel free to contact me using one of the following methods.
Phone: <Phone>
Email: <Email>
Mail: <Address>
Thank you for your time,

<Name>

Included in this application
  • Manufacture Certificate of Origin
  • Invoice showing purchase of Kit from DF Kit Car
  • Title Application
  • Hobbyist License Plate Application
  • Check for Application Fee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Send all the paperwork a few weeks before you expect the car to be on the road. (Plates take up to 6 weeks to process)

No inspection was requested for my build, your results may vary.
Total Cost = $269.50

Edit: I should also add that I was able to call up my current insurance, State Farm, and they insured for the value (I estimated 20k - will probably update to 25k). The cost of the additional coverage was ~$100/6mo, Granted this is with two other cars and a house on the same policy.

Last edited:

lksohm

That sounds pretty simple compared to most states.
I have a brother who lives in Wisconsin. Could I have him license the car in his name then buy it from him to avoid the more strict Iowa inspection? This is more of a hypothetical question than actual idea.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I'm moving to Wisconsin.
I know your feeling here.

That sounds pretty simple compared to most states.
I have a brother who lives in Wisconsin. Could I have him license the car in his name then buy it from him to avoid the more strict Iowa inspection? This is more of a hypothetical question than actual idea.
Make sure that that will work before you do that. I know in Pennsylvania out of state special construction stuff has to still go through the enhanced inspection. only way in PA that I think you could avoid that is if it was registered as a cobalt or possibly the 57 Lotus 7. It may slip through.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Does the Cobalt title have to be sent in with the Goblin title application? I've been told that I will have to surrender the title to the recycling center. Not sure if that's accurate or not but I don't want to give up the title if I need it.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Does the Cobalt title have to be sent in with the Goblin title application? I've been told that I will have to surrender the title to the recycling center. Not sure if that's accurate or not but I don't want to give up the title if I need it.
Check with some of the other towns around Janesville, someone may take the carcass without an original title. I used to get parts from a place over by Clinton and scrapped off a truck without a title, but that was many years ago.

Dsteinhorst

I copied the registration steps exactly as the original post outlines and got my title and registration back in 25 days. Note the prices did go up from above quoted. I DID pay WI sales tax for my kit and did send in my donor title. No inspection.

I added it immediately to my Progressive policy 100% online for $4 for the remainder of my term, which ends July 10th. That's just liability. Going to check full coverage later.

kalishek

Does WI still have a plate for 'Car Collectors'? Remember a friend's dad who was a collector and had one plate he passed from one vehicle to another just like a dealers plate. But that was decades ago.
KAL

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Does WI still have a plate for 'Car Collectors'? Remember a friend's dad who was a collector and had one plate he passed from one vehicle to another just like a dealers plate. But that was decades ago.
KAL
This type of vehicle would fall under the Hobbyist category. Collector car plates are for stock vehicles. The rules must have changed though cause now when you get Hobbyist or Collector plates they're a one time registration fee but you can't transfer them to other vehicles. Unless there's a different type of plate for people who buy and sell classic cars that I'm not familiar with.

kalishek

Well, my friend was pulled over for putting his Dad's collector plate on his daily driver. 8D

Peregrinus

XJLIFE, did you pay sales tax on the kit or donor purchase at all? I'm going to send my paperwork in soon.
I pmed him this exact question aswell, because his total paid was without sales tax. Never did get an answer. I paid for a mostly complete kit, not just the basic kit was hoping to save a few bucks but I might be stuck paying sales tax on the whole sum. Lol

Dsteinhorst

Yeah, after reading the forms, there's not really a way around sales tax UNLESS you paid Texas tax when you picked up.

XJLIFE

Sorry for not responding quicker. Yes I paid Texas sales tax when I picked up my kit, which is how/why I did not pay WI sales tax.

XJLIFE

As far as keeping the Title goes. I surrendered mine with scrapping the vehicle, and did not have one to send in. (Most likely would have needed to surrender it if I still had it but since the vehicle was scrapped it was marked as such)

Peregrinus

Just got off the phone with my local state patrol inspector, he's been talking to the head lady in madison for the past few weeks/months. He said she At this point is at a firm 100% no for any tube frame based car registrations like this, they at this point are actively watching for any new paperwork and pulling old paperwork and denying them. Which is weird because the wisconsin paperwork doesn't call out specifically anything towards tube frame chassis one way or the other, so at least for now we're going to be stuck with montana sadly. He did say they are flagging or watching for lotus style registrations specifically aswell.

Last edited:

Dsteinhorst

Thanks for the update, I've neglected it.

For anyone first looking at WI registration, I had my title pulled after 3 months of being legal. The inspector said round tube frame chassis are not allowed. Square tubing forward of the firewall may work, but I don't have the ambition to try.

Maybe XJLIFE can update his first post to reflect the issues some of us have had.

I'll see if I have any issues this summer with MT plates.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Wait, what?!? If it was square tubing it would be legal? Who's brainiack idea is this that square tubing is somehow safer? Sounds like this rule is a bunch of BS created by someone who apparently has zero engineering and safety experience. This has got to be one of the worst excuses I've heard in a long time. Dip$hits in government!!! :mad:

Fozda

Goblin Guru
How long does the Montana plate process take? I suppose I should start now so there's no lapse in being able to drive the car when it gets nice out.