Won't crank with key turn

Dale E

All those grounds should have ended up at G-105 back of engine stud. I think some of you put your ground wires on a chassis bolt under or near the fuse box.

Put in the relay, but leave it up just a little and connect a ground jumper wire to the ground lug on the relay. This will bypass the normal wire and should start the engine. If it doesn't start the engine then start checking the fuse box plugs and pins for non contacting gaps or bent pins. All the videos I sent show the ground connection at G-105 (up to maybe four wires connected together into a single mounting connector to the back of the engine bolt near the oil cooler. There were a couple of other videos that showed other areas to cause a no start.

Recently someone found that same ground to be the cause. ARK-D had that ground as his issue - has a video of jumper wire fix on his build log.

Dang it!! I guess I'm going to have to build a Goblin so I can help you guys more.

Dale

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Here is said video, because my build log is a congested s*** show:

*edit* To add, the answer to my question at the end was simply, "get better contact inside the fuse box". The ground pin in that relay had a poor/non-existent connection in the fuse box connector.

Last edited:

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I think the engine not turning over and the engine not starting when you jump the relay are clues.
I would look for data wire problems. Low speed and high speed.
Painjack. I have a SS/NA auto so very similar build to your A/T. For the tan/tan with black strip high speed data wire loop, I followed this path and seems to work for my engine. The updated videos are for a manual transmission so the data links are different than Autos. Trace the wires for continuity using this diagram so see if it helps. What you seem to experience was exactly how I got my donor and it was the data loop that was interrupted with the smashed ABS plug. You can read in my build log.

I just had this same issue with the ground wire on the starter relay. i found the wire for the ground on the x1 plug and ran a new wire to ground and now it starts fine.

Painjack

I just wanted to update everyone, I have been super busy the last couple of days but with the advice I've been getting from here and from Dale E, i've been able to make it run! I jumped the ground from pin 85 on the starter relay to a known good ground, and that was enough to get it to crank and fire up. More trouble shooting to do obviously, but I won't have time to get back to it for a couple days and wanted everyone to know that the help has been very much appreciated!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
This the third bad ground not allowing a start in as many weeks. As Lonny always advises, the first thing to check are the ground connections. Sage advice. ;)