Wrap question

Trail_Creeper

For those that have wrapped the car... how much vinyl did it take to wrap the hood? How much to wrap the side panels?

I figured a couple 6'x5' pieces would do it, but need some input from people that have done it.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru

Trail_Creeper

I saw the wine red you did and it looks great. Plastidip was an option, but I have little experience with it. Wrap and paint on the other hand I have a fair amount of experience with.

The biggest question about the wrap was meant to be how much material. I have a couple 6'x5' rolls and one, maybe two 7'x3' rolls laying around the house that I think would look good on the Goblin

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Good reasons to stay with wrap, then.

Are you going to have an engine cover? If so, that probably won't be enough. Everyone I remember doing a wrap job, has stated that the hood took two pieces. Dimensionally, I'm fairly certain it's too wide for a single piece of running it front to back, and too long for a single piece if running it from side to side. The side body panels could both be done with one 7x3 roll if you're careful and only do the outside (as I did).

If you have three 6x5 pieces, you're covered. Only two though .... probably not.

Last edited:

Trail_Creeper

I won't be running an engine cover. Hopefully I have enough to do the job, if not then I'll order up something "different" instead of the blue and black I have

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
In my shopping for quote process, I've been told 5-6 yards when sharing rough dimensions and pics of the hood and side panels.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
You're certainly welcome to order 5-6 yards but 5'x13' will do the entire hood and both side panels.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
So dumb question, is yards a measure in square yards or in length of a given width wrap?

In shopping for wrap I see they come in different widths (I've seen 54" and 60" in most of my searches) and they are either ordered by a LxW dimension or by the yard.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I think available widths depends on the material. I ordered from rvinyl.com and they had 12, 24, and 60" widths. I would guess that 3M makes a 60" roll and then suppliers can cut it down if they choose to. So for my order, I was just specifying lengths.

I went off the dimensions listed here and they were more than accurate enough for me to get my hood and side panels wrapped.

Trail_Creeper

I've always ordered from Vvivid but I don't do graphics(?) wraps like everyone here is doing. I usually stick to single sheets that don't have detailed graphics on them.

RITDR

Most roll come in 5’ (or narrower) widths, but 5’ is the most common. My hood was covered in one piece from a 5’ roll, and I believe the length was just over 70” like Rauq stated.