Write up on bleeding brakes and clutch?

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
There is only one bleeder on the trans line and it is the one pointing towards the front of the car in your pic above.

You bleed from the clutch master cylinder to the bleeder first using the same technique as the brakes. Once that is done, you need to pump and hold down the clutch pedal before opening the bleeder. When you crack the bleeder, the slave cylinder will push air to the bleeder from its end of the line. You must close the bleeder before releasing the clutch pedal. Continue doing this until there is no more air coming out from the slave cylinder side.

So, it's only the one bleeder screw you already identified and it's 2 different techniques to bleed from each side of that bleeder.

I followed Lonny's directions (linked in my response above) and it worked just fine.

PHENDERSON

I did a pressure test by connecting to the master cylinder and pumping up to 10psi. After fixing a few leaks I'm to the point where I can't find anymore but in 2 hours it dropped to 5psi. Might be the connection from pump to master cylinder or the pump itself but if not is this an acceptable leak rate or should there be none at all?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I have never tried to leak test more than about 15 minutes and even then was happy with a few psi drop since I was using a cap adapter that I didn’t feel was 100% leak proof.

PHENDERSON

I tried a combination of push and pull. I wasn't getting anything to come out of the bleeder by using pressure at the master so I applied vacuum on the bleeder with pressure at the other end and it worked. Hopefully this is okay and I didn't just do some big no-no. After getting the rears I only needed to apply pressure for the fronts to start bleeding.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I applied vacuum on the bleeder with pressure at the other end and it worked.
Sounds like you just bench-bled the master cylinder the hard way. As long as you got fluid out of each corner and did so until no more bubbles then everything is fine.

PHENDERSON

Nice. I thought about bench bleeding the MC but didn't want to unscrew all the connections since I just put hydraulic sealant on them. Seemed fairly easy to do it the way I did. Good to know I didn't harm anything.

Now to the clutch line. And then I might try and start the engine. I have been putting it off for a long enough. I completely rebuilt the engine, plus all the wiring we do I'm just afraid it will explode. Or even worse absolutely nothing happens when I turn the key.