Z54 Turbo Swap

finazzoty

For anyone that’s done a ZZP turbo swap (assuming Z54 and Z57 are probably same in regards to this question):

Had anyone had an issue threading the barbed brass fitting into the aluminum oil pan fitting? Please see below:
E5A98BDC-C01E-4440-8281-1DCF7670A7BC.jpeg

I asked Al at ZZP and he said it’s because the threads are pipe tapered. Perhaps they are, but the threads are totally bound up and haven’t even gotten a full rotation in yet. Thread pitch is the same on both fittings. From what I can tell, the OD of the brass fitting is actually too large for the ID of their custom fabricated aluminum oil pan fitting. Anyone experienced this or have thoughts on this?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Assuming that is a NTP pipe thread, I would chase the threads on the female portion. But then again I already have pipe thread taps. It’s doubtful the brass portion is off, since that is probably factory made vs “one off”.
It’s possible they didn’t ream the hole to taper. It. You can usually successfully tap aluminum without the taper though.
If you can’t chase it with a tap, it will prove something is wrong with the fitting,
And make sure you use thread sealant on final assembly..

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
For anyone that’s done a ZZP turbo swap (assuming Z54 and Z57 are probably same in regards to this question):

Had anyone had an issue threading the barbed brass fitting into the aluminum oil pan fitting? Please see below:View attachment 38452

I asked Al at ZZP and he said it’s because the threads are pipe tapered. Perhaps they are, but the threads are totally bound up and haven’t even gotten a full rotation in yet. Thread pitch is the same on both fittings. From what I can tell, the OD of the brass fitting is actually too large for the ID of their custom fabricated aluminum oil pan fitting. Anyone experienced this or have thoughts on this?
What are the sizes of both? There may be a better option like a 45 degree up to the oil drain.

My guess is M12x1.75 to 5/16 barb?

Last edited: