Z54

Davidljones88

Hello all. I'm in the middle of replacing a k04 with a z54. Have you had issues with oil leaks due to the drain not being large enough? Just want to know what size works efficiently.

Also, who else has upgraded to a z54 and what has the experience/ difference been like? Do you enjoy the HP gain? Was it worth? What was your dyno hp numbers and/or track times?

Zzp says the opel injectors are enough for the turbo. They also don't recommend a BOV and said that the flutter shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Scott #321

I really like mine and have decreased oil consumption considerably from the leaking k04 I originally had even pushing close to 30 psi boost. If doing it again I would spring for the zfr for faster spool time but that comes with its own tuning issues.

Davidljones88

I really like mine and have decreased oil consumption considerably from the leaking k04 I originally had even pushing close to 30 psi boost. If doing it again I would spring for the zfr for faster spool time but that comes with its own tuning issues.
Great to know. Zzp doesn't do the best job at ordering the turbos from smallest to largest. I thought the z54 was the next step up. I guess that's the zfr?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Z54 is the ZZP branded and the ZFR is a Borg Warner EFR turbo with the ZZP modified exhaust housing so it’s a direct bolt in.

The BW turbo has lighter turbines and better bearings so it spoils faster than the Z54, but it’s a considerable amount more. The Z54 is the budget ZFR making almost as much HP (they advertise 480 vs 540).

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Z54 is the ZZP branded and the ZFR is a Borg Warner EFR turbo with the ZZP modified exhaust housing so it’s a direct bolt in.

The BW turbo has lighter turbines and better bearings so it spoils faster than the Z54, but it’s a considerable amount more. The Z54 is the budget ZFR making almost as much HP (they advertise 480 vs 540).
Thanks for clearing that up!