ZFR or Z54?

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Z54 is easily within my price range, but I love the idea of a bigger turbo that has the spooling capabilities similar to that of a K04.
The extra hp I think that the ZFR can produce is almost irrelevant because Im not sure that I will want more hp that the Z54 can make.
So is the ZFR worth the extra money?

Sebnuts

Remind me what the price difference was? I went Z54 and have regrets. Miss the low end responsiveness of the stock turbo (on the cobalt).

KSLunsfo

You might gain yourself some amount of reliability of the turbo by buying more turbo than you need and therefore not pushing it to its limits.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Remind me what the price difference was? I went Z54 and have regrets. Miss the low end responsiveness of the stock turbo (on the cobalt).
ZFR is $2059
Z54 is $1300

I want to have fun with the car, but I also want it to breathe and I know from experience that the K04 peters out in the upper rpms. I dont know what brand of turbo the Z54 is, they say its an "in house" turbo.

Scott #321

If I could do it over again, I'd pay the extra for the ZFR.
I agree, the Z54 is a journal bearing and does not begin to make boost until over 3K RPM. Haven't actually been in a car with the ZFR but it is suppose to spool the same as the K04 which on mine was making boost at just over 2K RPM. may not seem like much but on autocross 1000 RPM is a big deal to be without boost along with the longer spool times. Shouldn't be an issue for just driving the streets.

TravMac

The ZFR comes in 2 different sizes too. Are you guys talking the 7163 or the 6758 (yes, currently out of stock on ZZPs site, but maybe that's the one folks like best)?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Just my $0.02: if you intend your Goblin to have street and/or autocross performance, then lower RPM boost/torque is a necessity - agree with @Scott #321. There is nothing worse than pushing on the loud pedal and having to wait for the magic to happen at 3000 RPM.

If your not looking to make a dyno monster, here is an alternative that keeps everything looking 'stock' and gives additional HP without petering out above 5500 RPM:
K04 Upgraded Turbo - Sky Red Line | Solstice GXP | HHR SS | Cobalt SS Turbocharger | RPM-Motorsports

Justin

I have a used zfr 6758 with 2,500 miles on it that I have been meaning to post for sale if you are interested in picking up a used zfr.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
The ZFR comes in 2 different sizes too. Are you guys talking the 7163 or the 6758 (yes, currently out of stock on ZZPs site, but maybe that's the one folks like best)?
Id be looking for the smaller 6758. I also like that it carries the BW name badge.

Just my $0.02: if you intend your Goblin to have street and/or autocross performance, then lower RPM boost/torque is a necessity - agree with @Scott #321. There is nothing worse than pushing on the loud pedal and having to wait for the magic to happen at 3000 RPM.

If your not looking to make a dyno monster, here is an alternative that keeps everything looking 'stock' and gives additional HP without petering out above 5500 RPM:
K04 Upgraded Turbo - Sky Red Line | Solstice GXP | HHR SS | Cobalt SS Turbocharger | RPM-Motorsports
Hmmm, thats an interesting point DS. Not the lag, but the super K04.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Well, I bought a used BW 6758. Gotta buy a few fittings and we'll be right on track for install. Exactly what I think I wanted for 60% off.