ZZP Phenolic Spacer SS/SC (with solution)

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I'm putting this ZZP phenolic intake spacer on this weekend and I'm unclear on what these 3 little aluminum spacers do. The internet mentions them being very important, but no one really shows where they go. Does anyone here have photos?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Is this the correct spots, all three go behind this bracket? To push this mounting block away from the engine to help support the manifold now that the phenolic spacer has mad everything about 1/2" further out?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I did previously, but that makes more sense now after finding the photo I posted. It looks like I may be right in my assumption of where these 1/2" thick washers go. One of the bolts is very close to the IC pump.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Yes, they are used to space the IC pump bracket as the manifold bolts to this bracket. I did mine during the rebuild and I will advise to leave all the bolts loose until every bolt is started to thread in. That lower bolt on the manifold is a ***** if you tighten down the IC bracket first.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
R3dRckt: Great advice. I'll keep that in mind while we go through the process. It looks easy to get to everything since the engine is on a furniture dolly right now.
One thing I did notice, how is everyone changing their oil filters with the blower on the engine! It looks like a tight fit to get under that gargantuan chunk of metal.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm on my second filter change, both times have been with the motor not installed lol

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
R3dRckt: Great advice. I'll keep that in mind while we go through the process. It looks easy to get to everything since the engine is on a furniture dolly right now.
One thing I did notice, how is everyone changing their oil filters with the blower on the engine! It looks like a tight fit to get under that gargantuan chunk of metal.
Maybe you need one of these to set up a remote oilter?
20210131_135001.jpg
20210131_135033.jpg

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
After installing the phenolic spacer, it was very clear where the spacer should go. These space the bracket holding the SC heat exchanger pump away from the block by roughly 1/2" (about the same amount as the phenolic spacer). This is all to line up the 15mm bolt that supports the intake manifold underneath via this bracket. As mentioned previously, leaving the 15mm installed but loose helped with installation. I also ended up removing reinstalling the alternator and bracket to allow better access to this 15mm bolt. It could have been done without removing the alternator, but removal made the job a lot easier.

This job was super easy off the car. So much so that I let my 12 year old do the bulk of the work with me breaking the nuts/bolts loose and rechecking the torques once he installed it. This may have been a lot harder with the engine in the Goblin and the firewall in place.

Hopefully this information helps someone else in the future.

Last edited:

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I am about to purchase this spacer because I require a 91 tune in addition to e85 for longer random cruises. My concern is IAT2 temps which was a primary reason for going e85.

has anyone installed this spacer in the chassis? Reason I ask is I recall the gas tank being very tight to the intake while removal but I cannot recall how close.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
It fits. It does tighten things up some but it does fit. I had to persuade the intercooler hoses to fit, but that was the only real change I had to make. If you happen to head through Beulaville anytime soon, let me know and you can check it out.

By the way, there is a car show/bbq cook off next Sat 11/19/22 at the Northeast ballpark. It’s a fundraiser to help build a new church since theirs was flooded during Florence. It’s about 2 miles up Hwy 41 from the Wallace exit #385. I plan on having my Goblin there if it rains enough this week that I won’t have to work, but doesn’t rain Saturday.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I am about to purchase this spacer because I require a 91 tune in addition to e85 for longer random cruises. My concern is IAT2 temps which was a primary reason for going e85.

has anyone installed this spacer in the chassis? Reason I ask is I recall the gas tank being very tight to the intake while removal but I cannot recall how close.
I installed mine with the engine out. I will say it is very, very tight from the gas tank to the whole SC setup with the spacer in place. I'll snap some photos when I get home, if that'll help you at all? If you can even unbolt the engine and subframe to slide it back a few inches, it would help you out tremendously.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
My guess based on your feedback and past experience this will be tricky unless i remove the motor/trans mount and tilt back.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I’ll let you all know if it’s possible shortly my guess not unless removed from mounts because the intake studs I believe need some decent amount of space to slide off the actual intake.

GoblinGuyZ

I've been contemplating one of these but not sure if it was worth it considering the engine runs so much cooler in the Goblin being open air there is not nearly as much heat soak. Of course it will still be of benefit regardless just not sure since my engine is in already if it was worth it but you can let us know when you get to test it. I did the dual pass install and taking off the manifold again and making it even harder to reinstall is not high on my 'looking forward to' list lol