HP Tuners MPVI 2 Caution

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If you are in the market for the new HP TUNERS MPVI 2, a word of caution - Make sure you download the newest version of VCM Suite (currently the Beta version as of 06-22-18) or newer. This should also force an update of firmware on the MPVI 2.

I found out the hard way there was a problem with the software and the MPVI 2 that affected many of the 98-07 GM vehicles. I had been able to write tunes without much difficulty, there was an occasional time-out before it got started but would always work the second attempt. Then all of a sudden it happened - locked up my ECM! Tight too! It would no longer communicate with anything. The car would not start, the pumps wouldn't turn on, nothing. Almost a week of research and trying anything I could to get it to come back but it just wasn't going to happen. I was in contact with HP Tuners and had a support ticket with them, but it really wasn't of much help in the beginning. :mad:

I called and talked with Adam to see what he had to say and he confirmed the ECM might need to be replaced. He was gracious enough to ship out one they had so I could use it to try on the car. I appreciate their help so much!

Friday, I received and email from HP Tuners and also the support tech I was working with that they had found a problem in the software and firmware and had put out new versions of each. As soon as I got home I updated everything and attempted to connect to the car. I really didn't think this would help but I was willing to try anything. Much to my surprise, IT WORKED! I was able to download a tune back to it and it came back to life! You have no idea how great it is the have the car back. Unfortunately Kaleb lost a couple of really good weather days of driving.

Adam, I will be shipping the ECM back and something to cover your time and shipping cost. I did not even take it out of the box so don't worry about me trying to put a tune on it or something. Thanks so much for helping. I also ordered a spare used one just in case.