alternator testing

Parson Green

Most alternators are designed to produce charge when rotating in a clockwise direction. Alternators on 2007 Cobalts (SS/SC) are the opposite.

Am having problems getting one of these latter alternators properly tested.

Seems that most of the test rigs (e.g. at O'Reillys) only work on the common (clockwise-charging) variety alternator.

If a CCW alternator does not produce an acceptable charge when being tested in a CW rotation, does that mean it's a bum alternator?

lksohm

From a few minutes of research it sounds like alternators don't really care what direction they are spun. This might be because they produce AC current that is converted to DC.

Are you having charging issues?

Parson Green

Just trying to do some due diligence on a donor-car alternator.

Said car (82K odometer miles) was being driven until mid March of this year when it was involved in an accident.

Also, am understanding that those OEM/Denso alternators usually give great service.

So, with no known issues the thing is probably going to be put back into operation without further ado. Thanks for your response!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
From a few minutes of research it sounds like alternators don't really care what direction they are spun. This might be because they produce AC current that is converted to DC.

Are you having charging issues?
I was thinking the same thing. It shouldn't matter the direction. If you weren't having a problem, I would run it. I don't think they cause too many issues.