Carl's Track Goblin - 05 SS SC donor, Chassis # 39

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Frame, tank, pump ring, floor strap and aluminum sheeting= $909 out the door.

I did get a couple of quotes. I had another that was around $1500 for just the frame. The shop I ended up going to is about 40 min. away, instead of 10 min. but worth the savings.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
So I have a question about mounting the brake booster to the pedal box for an early model donor. It doesn't have the spacer as in the video.
Do you just mount the booster against the pedal box stands, leaving a gap between the two?
Am I missing something here?
image.jpg

In the donor the booster mounts flat against the firewall.

PHerder

I, too, have the earlier booster. I put a new (discontinued) gasket between the two. I don't believe it will really do anything but it fit.

Paul

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Thanks BAR-AIR!
The donor parts video addressed the earlier models without the spacer and the assembly video didn't address it all. Left dazed and confused. Could be the lack of caffeine or maybe too much caffeine. :)

BAR-AIR

You should have been me, mine was the first Goblin using the earlier booster. Actually bought a spacer on eBay. I think Adam thought I was nuts when I told him my brake set up was different. Just check your brake fittings and the reservoir hardware they are different between the early and later models. Taking all out and redoing is really not fun.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
All the brake lines lined up. Some just a smidg on the long side, but better than too short.

I removed the foam gasket from the booster. It wasn't serving any sealing purpose plus it was looking old and dirty.

I think it also helps drop the overall weight by .02 of a gram. Wait, I want that weight on the nose. Dang it. ;)

SliderR1

Thanks for sharing this about the booster. I also have an older donor and was curious about this. My foam gasket looks horrible too.

PHerder

My original booster was full of oil so I got a replacement. It didn't come with the gasket (the gasket on the old booster wasn't removable without tearing it up) and so I found one online (finally... I did mentioned that it was discontinued, right?) and once I actually mounted it to the frame, I found that it was just a waste of money since it doesn't seal anything on the Goblin. :rolleyes:

Hopefully future builders will see this and not worry about that gasket.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Needing help identifying these plugs and wiring on the dash harness. ('05 SS SC)
They were originally just hanging under the dash, not connected to anything.
Can these be completely removed?
IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

Another question with the steering wheel controls wiring. Is it completely removed as well or are the horn wires in this connector? If so, which wires?

Thanks in advance.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The smaller one on the right appears to be for the HVAC Control Module. The wire colors seem to be different than what I have, but there are also two empty pins on it.

The horn wire should be on the same connector as your cruise control and Driver Information Center. It should connect to the coil springy thing inside your steering wheel.

Not quite sure what the other connector is yet.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
The larger plug has four twisted pairs coming out of it.
Tan/dark green
Tan/dark blue
Light green/light green with white stripe
Dark brown/ dark brown with white stripe

Isn't this for the speakers?

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I was kind of thinking along those lines too, but maybe door connectors? They don't look anything like mine, but then again things change over the years.

Tony

Can't recall for sure off hand, but the larger one looks like the gauge cluster plug.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
The gauge cluster plug I did have marked so it's not that one.
These two plugs were originally located by the diagnostic port underneath the left side of the dash on the driver side.

SliderR1

Another question with the steering wheel controls wiring. Is it completely removed as well or are the horn wires in this connector? If so, which wires?

Thanks in advance.
Going from memory here, but I think the horn wire is tan on the steering wheel control buttons. I left it long on my harness as I'm going to route it up towards the steering wheel. The cruise is a pink and gray wire, IIRC.

I tried to look up that big connector and it doesn't match anything I could quickly find in the service manuals... It does appear to be a door connector, but mine was shaped a bit differently, it matched the diagram below. Here is a cut sheet on the C301 connector...
C301a.JPG

C301b.JPG