Crashed 07 Cobalt SS $800

duthehustle93

This just popped up in another group I'm affiliated with. I don't know the seller personally, but he races with Three Pedal Mafia (a well-known/respected team) and is staff, so I'd assume he's an honest seller.

Right off the bat... it's very high mileage and was crashed at the front so it might not be the best candidate, but $800 for a running motor/trans is pretty darn cheap..

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ooh, front enders - especially those that set off both airbags - are usually detrimental to most of the parts needed from the donor, like the engine, intake parts especially an SC, front suspension, steering rack, front subframe. Tho the price may seem tempting, it could cost a lot more for replacement parts than holding off to find a better - and likely - more expensive donor that has a side or rear impact.

duthehustle93

Yeah, it's a pretty gnarly crash.. it may be a better candidate for spare parts than a new build but you guys would know better than me.

The 320k may be a good thing or a bad thing. I feel like cars that I've purchased with crazy high miles for the year have ended up being more reliable than the other way around. I think people who rack up that many miles do it on highways and need their vehicle to be reliable because they have a long commute. I'd take 320k highway miles over 150k city miles any day.

What's your opinion on usability of the subframe/steering rack? The seller didn't mention anything about airbags, and the fender looks pretty lined up to the door (surprisingly). It'll definitely need new suspension everything at that corner, but that fender gap looks pretty darn good in the few blurry pictures he posted. Also, in vehicles that we've had contact with during races, the inner tie rods 99% of the time let go before the steering rack/act as the sacrificial component... is that not the case with Cobalts?

Last edited:

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Hmm, could that be my supercharger donor?
I could probably get this car, take out the SC stuff, sell some other parts and once I Hut break even, I toss the rest.

The high mileage is scary.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
That high mileage doesn't really mean much without service records. It could be 320K of pampered, serviced miles, or it could be an engine was replaced 20K miles ago, or it could be on the verge of being junk. It's a gamble.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
I would NEVER use a Cobalt with major front-end damage. This is where 90% of your donor parts are!
A T-bone, rear-ender, or rollover would all be better than any kind of head-on. Common sense (not all that common...) must prevail here.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I would NEVER use a Cobalt with major front-end damage. This is where 90% of your donor parts are!
A T-bone, rear-ender, or rollover would all be better than any kind of head-on. Common sense (not all that common...) must prevail here.
If you could transport it cheap it would be worth it just for extra parts. Engine is probably unhurt, though the trans may have gotten punched by the half shafts. If bought for engine block and wiring you'd do ok is my bet. OH! and good paperwork to support a build. The paperwork is sometimes more trouble than initially considered.