Filling fuel tank problem

Nimrod26

When I try filling my fuel tank (poly) at the pump, the pump nozzle almost immediately shuts off like it’s suppose to when the tank is full. No matter how little I squeeze the handle it shuts off. I have to squeeze it lightly then let go and repeat it dozens of time to fill the tank. Has this been a problem with any of you?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, I get that too with the aluminum tank. Back the filling nozzle up, and let some air in there, and the issue goes away. Change the angle it goes down the pipe sometimes helps too.

Nimrod26

Yes, I get that too with the aluminum tank. Back the filling nozzle up, and let some air in there, and the issue goes away. Change the angle it goes down the pipe sometimes helps too.
well I tried backing the nozzle out using different lengths and it still shuts off. I guess I should experiment with it more and try to find the happy spot.

Thanks

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
How much evap equipment is on the station hose? Some places have a lot more emissions requirements than others. If yours has one that has sophisticated evap equipment then the vent hose may not be big enough.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The 1/4 inch vent hose is not big enough for the new gas station pumps - as @Gtstorey stated - to react to the fuel tank venting back into the pump handle versus the amount of air that needs to exit the tank to keep up with the amount of fuel going into the tank. A 3/8 or 5/16 or even a 1/2 inch vent line is probably needed. Retro fitting this may take some creativity. As an alternate, get a 5 gallon Gerry can, fill it, and then pour it into you fuel tank - just trying to think out of the box.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Yep, I look like I've never filled my tank before every time I fill up. I just move it around until it works.

Sebnuts

Had the same problem with my first fillup. I just keep a hand on the nozzle and barely squeeze it to keep the flow low. Kinda sucks holding it the whole time, but at least it's a small tank and doesn't hold much (that's what she said).

Nimrod26

Sounds like it’s alway been a problem. Thank you for all you responses. I’ll work on it and see if I can improve on it.