Gas coming out the pump gasket

Andy

After I have driven a couple of times I have smelled gas while driving and had seen some gas come out the pump gasket area. Anybody see that? I have not pulled the pump get but I thought i set the 1/4" gap correctly. Any thoughts? Any causes i might not be thinking of?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I was worried this might happen when I got a textured coating on my tank. I ended up sanding that area down where the o-ring seats. Do you have anything like that?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Make sure both surfaces are clean and smooth. And you may have to adjust the tension down a bit more on all of the bolts if the original o-ring has been crushed some. Otherwise replace the o-ring.

Andy

It was a new o-ring, I had to get a new pump. I didn't put any grease on the new oring. I did paint the tank and the paint does go under the gasket.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yeah, the paint may be disoliving with the gas. Clean the paint off and leave it bare aluminum. I greased my o-ring with just a touch of silicone grease.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't think that paint would cause any issues. Ideally it should probably be bare metal though.
I would agree with completely cured paint, but it could be somewhat green yet. They say concrete in bridges can take 30 year of more to finally completely cure. There was some painted panel on my '68 vette that I wanted to strip and repaint and 3 attempts using aircraft remover wouldn't touch it! I ended up just cleaning the original paint and leaving it. That stuff was the toughest paint I have ever seen. Probably had lead in it.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Usually that is the first sign that one of your fuel line nipples has a crack near the pump but you said you have a new pump.
Try drying the area near the pump with compressed air and then run the engine without moving the car for 10 minutes or so. This will rule out the fuel lines.

Andy

Yeah I have been thinking of cutting off the hard plastic lines and going with flexible pressure rated hose as others have. Not a huge fan of bending the hard plastic lines for install and the rubber lines look better in the car i think. I am going to pull the pump tomorrow while it rains and I will check for cracks and take care of the paint issue/grease the o-ring and reset it. I might change the hose to rubber ones too while I am at it. Still waiting for title and registration anyway.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Yeah I have been thinking of cutting off the hard plastic lines and going with flexible pressure rated hose as others have. Not a huge fan of bending the hard plastic lines for install and the rubber lines look better in the car i think. I am going to pull the pump tomorrow while it rains and I will check for cracks and take care of the paint issue/grease the o-ring and reset it. I might change the hose to rubber ones too while I am at it. Still waiting for title and registration anyway.
Did this take care of your fuel leak issue?

Andy

I pulled the pump, swapped and greased the oring from the new one that came with the pump to the old one from the donor. I am not sure but the new oring seemed to have expanded or could have been a little larger than the original and it expanded until the o ring came out from under the lip of the fuel pump just slightly. That is what caused the leak. The fuel lines are fine no cracks. So far no more leaking but I have not driven it around much no tags yet.

Goblin-SS

I had a very similar fuel leak after the first time autocrossing my goblin. I just got done taking it apart and putting is back together. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The seal looked good. No defects or damage. So I put it back together this time a bit tighter. Won't know if it's fixed till May 12th that my next autocrossing event. I'll keep y'all posted.