Purchased Titled NC Goblin - Register in GA or Montana?

SmartRaven

I have just purchased a built Goblin that was registered and titled in NC. I have the title.

I need to get it insured and registered. I see on this forum that many people register in Montana to avoid problems in their home state.

I am in Georgia and I don't think the car would pass an inspection. Then again, I'm not sure the inspection is needed considering I have a title (from NC). Additionally GA charges an "Ad Valorem" tax on the registration based on the car's value.

Do any of you have suggestions on whether I should register in GA or Montana? Which route would be easier? And/Or, which route would be cheaper?

I would really appreciate your help!

p.s. Any recommendations on Insurance companies?

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I looked into this for someone else a while back, and off the top of my head, one of the central factors was whether you were in a county that has emissions checks. I think if you're in one of the below counties, the answer to your question will require a bit more digging.
  • Cherokee
  • Clayton
  • Cobb
  • Coweta
  • DeKalb
  • Douglas
  • Fayette
  • Forsyth
  • Fulton
  • Gwinnett
  • Henry
  • Paulding
  • Rockdale

SmartRaven

I am not in one of those counties and we have no emissions checks.

I see that the TAVT is about 6.6% of the car value. I wonder if they know how much these are worth... :rolleyes: