Torque Steer

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm actually still fighting this issue a bit. After the I got the passenger side rear knuckle replaced, things are much better but it still isn't right. I know what the problem is, but I don't know where it's coming from. The issue is when I jack up the back, grab the tire and give it a forceful wiggle, there is some obvious slop. Not nearly as much as before, but there is definitely some still there. The driver's side seems to be rock solid.

I'm going to go through all the nuts and bolts and make sure they're still tight. I don't see this being an issue. How does a guy figure out the problem without throwing parts at it? Everything on that corner is brand new. New Control arm, bearing hub, tie rod end, knuckle, coilover, bushings, etc.

The only thing I can thing of is maybe the aftermarket control arm doesn't fit in the knuckle the same way? Or maybe the new aftermarket CV axle has some slop in the the bearing hub? I really don't know. But I do know that those particular OEM parts are pretty expensive to just replace on a guess.

Any advice?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Does the arm move with the slop, can you tell? There are the front bushings with the two bolts in them to bolt it to the subframe. There could be some slop there.

Have someone wiggle it while you grab onto different areas. If you put your hand covering the whole bushing/frame area, usually you can feel part of it moving in your hand while the other part doesn't.

Maybe a short video.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing I can thing of is maybe the aftermarket control arm doesn't fit in the knuckle the same way? Or maybe the new aftermarket CV axle has some slop in the the bearing hub? I really don't know. But I do know that those particular OEM parts are pretty expensive to just replace on a guess.

Any advice?
The base model and SS/SC use a smaller ball joint at the knuckle. If you've got LSJ ball joints installed into your LNF knuckles, there's a pretty good chance that the knuckle didn't tighten down on the ball joint. The bolt would keep the ball joint in the knuckle, but the ball joint will be able to wiggle around.

Do you have calipers to measure the OD of the ball joint?

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I'm actually still fighting this issue a bit. After the I got the passenger side rear knuckle replaced, things are much better but it still isn't right. I know what the problem is, but I don't know where it's coming from. The issue is when I jack up the back, grab the tire and give it a forceful wiggle, there is some obvious slop. Not nearly as much as before, but there is definitely some still there. The driver's side seems to be rock solid.

I'm going to go through all the nuts and bolts and make sure they're still tight. I don't see this being an issue. How does a guy figure out the problem without throwing parts at it? Everything on that corner is brand new. New Control arm, bearing hub, tie rod end, knuckle, coilover, bushings, etc.

Any advice?
Have somebody else feel & look for play at every mounting point from the control arm out to the hub while you wiggle it. If there is freeplay, then theres only a few areas it could be coming from.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
That was actually very simple to figure out what was wrong. I guess I just needed some advice and a fresh look. It's my aftermarket control arm. Even with the pinch bolt torqued down and then some, it clanks around with not a lot of up/down force. The driver's side which is still the original control arm is rock solid.

Kind of sucks because I just put brand new Prothane bushings in both of them.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I would consider going to delrin bushings. OTTP makes a good set. You wont have any slop or flex whatsoever after that and they last forever.