2.2L Clutch Upgrade?

jirwin

Goblin Guru
For no particular reason at all...

I may be in search of a new clutch. I can't quite tell, but I think I'm smelling what I think is burnt clutch when I hammer it now. If I do have to replace the clutch (which btw has 130k on it) do I need to upgrade it? How much torque can the stock one handle? I want the "nicest" clutch my now supercharged engine can handle. I don't need super hard super fast engagement. I'd rather have something more forgiving like the stock one is.

F23 btw.

Wes

The 9.5" set from zzp is pricey but provides more surface area and a stock feel. Wait for the Black Friday sale!

jirwin

Goblin Guru
The 9.5" set from zzp is pricey but provides more surface area and a stock feel. Wait for the Black Friday sale!
I saw that option but was scared that its 10x the price of the stock clutch lol. Either way if its fried I don't think I can wait until Black Friday lol

Trail_Creeper

In my experience, and these are all non cobalt cars... I've ran stock clutches on mild built cars in the past. My 240sx (SR20 swapped) ran a stock clutch with a tune, mild turbo upgrade, full 3" exhaust, aftermarket FMIC, etc. The car made close to 300hp at that time. Even drifting it I still got over a year on it before pulling for a lightweight flywheel, bigger turbo, and a more aggressive tune.

My DSM had a stock clutch up through a mileld 330hp and drag racing.

My old civic ran a stock clutch (maybe factory?) for over 100k miles and holding up to the 300 mark before it gave up the ghost.

Wes

When I supercharged my 2.4, it slipped on the dyno and occasionally on hard pulls in higher gears. I drove it all summer, even went to the track and ran a 12.1 with the stock clutch slipping bad. I knew the car would be down for weeks doing a clutch upgrade and didn't want to miss out lol.

Unless it's completely shot just live with it for a while and do the right thing on the off season. I went with the stage 1 and it holds no problem, feels no different than a stock one would.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Yeah... Its juuuuust finally getting warm up here in the north. I could probably do it without too much missed driving if I ordered parts and did it right now. Thankfully ZZP is an hour or two away so I get parts next day usually. I'm going to take it on a longer drive tomorrow and see how it feels before making any major decisions.

Tinkles

My 2003 Cavalier (L61/F23) is supercharged with a Harrop TVS and is making ~300whp. It has 110,000+ hard miles on the stock clutch and it is holding just fine. Just get yourself a stock replacement Luk or Exidy brand clutch.

Scott #321

I went stage 4 in a 350ish HP turbo car and it made the car close to undriveable. Tim is right around my HP level with a stock ss clutch and has no issues even with very spirited driving.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would never install a new clutch on a used or non resurfaced flywheel. I can be cheap, but to much work if it slips to try and save $50-$100. And if it slips maybe another clutch also.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I highly recommend ZZP stage 3 with the aluminum flywheel.
I am 300 Hp and have had no issues pushing it quite hard.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Not to resurrect this thread, but I went ahead and ordered a stock replacement clutch for it. I haven't put it in because I haven't had time. That being said... Is it possible a clutch with 130K on it could "break in" suddenly? It doesn't seem to be slipping anymore. About the time I took it to the drag strip I stopped noticing a slip. I was able to mat it in 3rd, 4th, and 5th with no slip yesterday. So weird