Base Model Performance

120mm

Just saw the Goblin on Goonzquad, and found this forum as a result.

I'm an aircraft mechanic, and I'm not far from retirement, and I've been planning to build and race vintage cars as a hobby.

My last race experience was go karts in high school, so when I saw the Goblin, I realized there might be a more affordable way to learn how to race cars then risking vintage tin. It seems to me, a base model Goblin with the automatic tranny would make a decent training car for someone serious about learning to drive a car to its limits.

Most cars I've seen/read about have been SC/TC cars with manuals, so I am interested in hearing more about how the base model car performs.

Thanks!

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
jpr built an automatic. Really nice too!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I would hope to be able to answer your question in a few weeks. Waiting on PADOT for paperwork. My car is a 2.2 N/A 5sp. I can say the couple short drives I took around the block were impressive for a n/a car.

Last edited:

120mm

Just read jpr's thread.

Cool build, but not much on performance.

I did note how he debated about manual v automatic.

Like jpr, I'm interested in basically a disposable car, to learn on. I doubt I'll spend much money on finishing, or upgrades. Would definitely like to autocross it, though.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum. If you need performance in a NA car, then a 2.4 liter donor is the best option to build with about 175HP, if you don't want an SC or TC car. Another option is to purchase one of the already built cars that are for sale by builders here on the forum. These can be found in the Classified section.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
While I don't have experience with the N/A automatics, Lonny and Adam insist that they are very quick for what they are and would please most people. I would not be afraid to try one. And quite frankly, the automatic might help in keeping the car in control. Our car is very touchy on everything from the brakes to the gas to the steering. You have to really pay attention to what you are doing.

120mm

While I don't have experience with the N/A automatics, Lonny and Adam insist that they are very quick for what they are and would please most people. I would not be afraid to try one. And quite frankly, the automatic might help in keeping the car in control. Our car is very touchy on everything from the brakes to the gas to the steering. You have to really pay attention to what you are doing.
That's precisely what I was thinking. Plus they are the cheapest/easiest to assemble/get running.

Focusing on the fundamentals of racing before adding in the complexity of a manual transmission, and then the extra challenge of high power seem like a good way to start, to me. No doubt manual trans and SC/TC adds performance, but that is not my focus right now.

I am a small guy (5'9" 170 lbs) and I want the shorter wheelbase of the basic model as well.

Once I master steering/breaking/ short wheelbase/rear-mid engine dynamics, I can either add a manual, or move up to something bigger. Or not. :)

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Get the turbo. I have a quick and easy way to set an engine code so that it disables your boost. :) You can drive it around as an NA all you want, then undo it and turn it into a real neck snapper. Only thing is you won't have an automatic transmission.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
That's precisely what I was thinking. Plus they are the cheapest/easiest to assemble/get running.

Focusing on the fundamentals of racing before adding in the complexity of a manual transmission, and then the extra challenge of high power seem like a good way to start, to me. No doubt manual trans and SC/TC adds performance, but that is not my focus right now.

I am a small guy (5'9" 170 lbs) and I want the shorter wheelbase of the basic model as well.

Once I master steering/breaking/ short wheelbase/rear-mid engine dynamics, I can either add a manual, or move up to something bigger. Or not. :)
I think it would be perfect for you. And if for some reason you did want to move up, it's not impossible. Swapping out the engine and a few other components could get you there.

Where do you live? There are probably other builds close to you that would be willing to take you for a spin so you could get an idea of what the car itself is like (maybe not the automatic N/A)/

120mm

I think it would be perfect for you. And if for some reason you did want to move up, it's not impossible. Swapping out the engine and a few other components could get you there.

Where do you live? There are probably other builds close to you that would be willing to take you for a spin so you could get an idea of what the car itself is like (maybe not the automatic N/A)/
I'm an airplane mech, working overseas on a 4 month on/off schedule, with 2 months left in this cycle.

I currently live in Central Iowa, but am moving to Tennessee later this year; to the Nashville-ish area, along with everyone else in the country. ;)

I think I've seen at least one post by someone near Nashville. No idea if any Iowegians are on here.

If I wanted to upgrade, I'd pry just buy/fabricate the additional parts to the kit and make it SC/TC.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I'm an airplane mech, working overseas on a 4 month on/off schedule, with 2 months left in this cycle.

I currently live in Central Iowa, but am moving to Tennessee later this year; to the Nashville-ish area, along with everyone else in the country. ;)

I think I've seen at least one post by someone near Nashville. No idea if any Iowegians are on here.
I know there is one in Minnesota and I'm in mid Missouri. I don't remember about Iowa. Contact Lonny or Adam and they can contact someone from the area for you. They have reached out to me to help others get in front of a car. They are actually all over, just not all are on the forum.

120mm

I know there is one in Minnesota and I'm in mid Missouri. I don't remember about Iowa. Contact Lonny or Adam and they can contact someone from the area for you. They have reached out to me to help others get in front of a car. They are actually all over, just not all are on the forum.
So, personal question to you; I am not a fan of TC, because of the lag and what I consider added complexity.

I see you drive an SC car. What made you pick SC over TC in your car?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So, personal question to you; I am not a fan of TC, because of the lag and what I consider added complexity.

I see you drive an SC car. What made you pick SC over TC in your car?
I like to instant response and the low end torque. Also like the simple set up, it's a lot less complicated then the turbo build. And quite frankly, the scream of the supercharger, you can't argue that one. It was a no-brained for me! The power output is more than enough for me. Sure the turbo will build more power and it hits harder and there is nothing wrong with it; just not want I wanted. I like the smooth power from down low. Man there is nothing like 2nd gear at 2k and then just smash it!

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The 2019 Camaro SS has 455 HP and weighs 3700 lbs. That's 8.13 lbs per hp.

A 2.4 goblin will have 175 HP and weighs around 1500 lbs. That's 8.57 lbs per hp.

Very close to the same power to weight. I think the zero to sixty times would be close but I think the goblin will stop in a shorter distance and would be quicker around an auto cross.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Has anyone measured the 60-0 times/distance on one of these? It has to be up there with the best. I should see if Track Addict or Torque app has that ability.

120mm

I seem to recall the base model runs 4.75 and the SS/TC runs 3-something. It's published somewhere on the website.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Ultimately this is a question only you can answer. I built a base model and was quite happy with the performance. But I have a background in liter bikes, so at the end of the day it just wasn’t enough.

I would put my NA base model up as a pretty even comparison to my 2009 mustang GT. A lot of people would consider that a pretty quick car.

But as Lonny said, a base goblin is like a camero SS, the turbo is a corvette Z06. Which do you want?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Has anyone measured the 60-0 times/distance on one of these? It has to be up there with the best. I should see if Track Addict or Torque app has that ability.
The Torque app does have the 0-60 , 0-100, 1/8 mile, and 1/4 mile timers in it plus more. They are all gps based times.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Affordable and racing do not go together, but if you want a cheap way to learn to race cars buy a 90's Miata from some SCCA/club racer guy that's already set it up to be raced. Will be a manual but you can put it in 2nd and learn to drive then worry about shifting later.