Battery size?

deuc224

Hey all, my SS came with a leaky battery so i need to another one, does the goblin use a specific rack for the battery or can i just grab a wal mart battery and be happy?

deuc224

I read that they use a T5 and they are 150 which is not cool but wal mart sells a battery witht he same CCAs and is just bigger for 50 bucks, just wondering if it will fit and actually add weight to the front which is a side benefit.

Thanks for the super fast reply, really appreciate it.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
It's funny, I did a lot of research on this a while back and now I cannot find anything on it. I was looking for a new battery and then finally realized the original donor battery was sitting in my Corvette so I just pulled it out and it was still fully charged after 9 months so I knew it had to be good. I had measured the battery box and was looking for one to fit. The box is 10.75" x 7".

Here is a couple of links to sizes and groups but this one doesn't show the T5. Walmart has them for $115 https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-T5/5128244

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
my donor had a slightly bigger battery. I could not use it with the hold down that came with the kit. Ended up buying a new battery from NAPA for the cobalt that fit much better

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Just bought a brand new battery from Sams Club and it fits fine in the tray but the hood down is too small. :mad:

May get something angle iron from Lowe’s and adapt it?

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
My kit shipped with two different sized battery hold downs, and I used the one that fit my donor battery. Did you get two hold downs as well?

baustin

For anyone needing to replace their battery, here's what I just did:
My Cobalt SS/SC came with a T5 size battery, when I originally installed it I left the J-bolts as long as I could for future changes if needed. My flooded lead-acid battery decided to start leaking a couple days ago and dripping onto my frame and garage floor.
20191026_094248.jpg

I decided to go with an AGM style to avoid the possibility of leaking in the future and to not make the front end even lighter, problem is that it seams the T5 size isn't used for AGMs (or I just didn't find it). I did find that H5 size batteries (also known as group 47) have the same footprint and are just 5/8"-3/4" taller depending on the exact model.

I picked up an Interstate Batteries MTX 47/H5 and just installed it yesterday. Was able to pick it up from the local auto shop 3 miles from home after they ordered, price isn't the lowest but still just $209+tax so not too far above typical flooded lead-acid batteries depending on size. I also updated my wire connectors from the hack job someone did when it was in the cobalt which included the clamping style connectors that got loose when I was in Charlotte the other year. I now have soldered/crimped with glue style heat shrink sleeves that bolt onto the terminal clamps, hopefully they will be nice and trouble free. Since I didn't want to fully remove the positive starter cable from the car to solder the new end on, I just torched the lug in the empty battery space, that was a little odd but worked just fine. Red electrical tape to cover the exposed bolt area of this style connector to prevent accidental shorting.
PXL_20220328_215955494.jpg

PXL_20220328_215949174.jpg

So I originally had a T5 size battery, swapped that for an H5/group 47 size AGM battery and it seems to fit very nicely. They have the same footprint and the H5 is just a little taller but fits just fine if you left the hold down bracket bolts a little longer.

Last edited: