BCM Interchangeability

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Are BCM's interchangeable amongst their platforms. For example, are all LSJ BSM's the same or are they specific to the VIN like the ECM's? Do you have to do a case learn or anything if you swap BCM's?

Next, are they interchangeable between LSJ, LNF, etc..?

Mahkoi

Not sure on interchangeability but I slapped in one from ebay that had the right part number and it worked without any kind of learn. Not sure if that's the reason my speedometer doesn't work tho.

Edit: I did have to do a key learn but but my car didn't come with keys so I had to do one anyway probably why I didn't think of it.

Last edited:

Goblinfanclub1234

I always thought that you had to program a new BCM using tech2 tool. There is a menu option in the tech2 for this.

Specifically the odometer is located in the BCM

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Not going to be interchangeable among the early models and the later models, to many wiring differences even if the plugs are the same. Probably interchangeable to some extent within that early or late but might need programming or VATS delete done. We might get by without programming since so much of the functions are not in use.

If you check on the and compare part numbers you can see what will interchange. New BCM's do require programming, but used ones MAY be interchangeable.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have put in 3 BCMs in my LSJ.
The auto recycler asked me: "2 doors or 4?"
me: Doesn't matter. Either one.
Electric windows?
Doesn't matter.
Trim level?
Doesn't matter.
I think any BCM from 2005-2007 will work for me. Even engine doesn't matter, as one came out of a 2.2L Cobalt.
So far the only thing I noticed is the odometer changes with each new BCM. I think I had to redo the PK3+ security for the key.

Last edited: