Blue Man's City Goblin - 05 Base Donor

Chris_WNC

Auto shifter has a brake press interlock. When you press the brake pedal it actuates and toggles out of the way to let the shifter pull back out of Park.

CHRIS

Blue Man

That makes sense.

so I went to the back, and I disconnected the brake/turn wire to the tail light. I connected them one at a time.

When the brake wire is connected, the braking works properly. When I press the brake, the brake light comes on when I let go the brake brake light turns off. Then I disconnect the brake wire, and I connect the turn signal wire.

That works properly. The turn signal turns on and flashes, and there’s no toggling in the automatic shifter.

So I can either have brake lights or turn signals in the back, but not both. My best guess is I am completing some kind of circuit when I wrap the two wires together going into the tail light?

Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas of how to get around it?

At this point I’m thinking I just need to buy new tail lights that will accept four different wires.

Chris_WNC

Oh man. I went a different route with my rear lights. Not sure how to do the DF lights. I'll bow out now. lol.

Blue Man

Thanks for trying. I appreciate anybody who responds. It’s always very helpful.

I finally found the answer and it’s my own inexperience and foolishness.

I was combining my brake light wire, and my turn signal wire, and then joining them with the wire for the brake light.

All this was doing was completing a circuit which was screwing everything up in the car, and of course, making the light not properly function.

I finally saw a video somewhere where it mentioned that a lot of cars have a dedicated turn signal wire also carry the brakes signal on that wire.

So I disconnected the brake wire and only connected the turn wire and voila everything works perfectly. the brake wire is simply for the center brake light.

I’m happy to have the problem resolved, but frustrated at spending the last 24 hours trying to figure this thing out. Oh well, all part of the fun right!?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I was able to get the brake and turn lights to both work off of one LED light. The Cobalt has them combined on the rear tail lights, but not the front lights.

Blue Man

Hey all, getting to the finish line here.

A question about the front fenders . . .

We attached the brackets and the arms are too far away for the tire to line up properly. These are stock SS cobalt rims that we are using. Any ideas? Did we get sent the wrong support arms? Have we attached them in the wrong place?

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I would assume so. I’d probably try to bend each of the arms a bit to see if I could move them closer. I believe there is a right and left side for the brackets. Double check to make sure you have them on the correct sides.

Blue Man

That’s what I’m wondering. We ordered the staggered set with the small fenders upfront and the large fenders in back and I wonder if they sent us the wrong mounts for the front.

I sent them a message about it yesterday with Photos. I’m waiting to hear back.

Blue Man

OK, so I talked to DF and they said that they make the brackets for more of an offset for custom wheels?

So they said if I run stock wheels, I need spacers and they are sending me some.

Blue Man

Also, how are people attaching the hood? Obviously, the bolts go through the brackets attached to the frame by the steering wheel, but are there other attachment points like down by the radiator? Will it stay in place with just the two bolts by the steering wheel?

and are there any guidelines on where to attach the parking brake handle? And how are people doing that?

Once we get the parking brake lines run, and put the fenders on, we are ready to register.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Also, how are people attaching the hood? Obviously, the bolts go through the brackets attached to the frame by the steering wheel, but are there other attachment points like down by the radiator? Will it stay in place with just the two bolts by the steering wheel?

and are there any guidelines on where to attach the parking brake handle? And how are people doing that?
There should be a bracket with two quarter turn fasteners that will get riveted to the hood under the radiator area, which then attaches to the bottom of the radiator mount. I and others have installed hinges instead of these quarter turn fasteners.

I'm assuming you're not running the upgraded shifter as that should have the mounting provisions for the parking brake handle already installed. It's been a while since I installed my parking brake on the original tunnel cap, but it's generally aligned so the parking brake cable guide tubes exit at the rear of the tunnel cap. The rear firewall required some clearancing. The shifter cables have to be out of the way so that you can mark the holes in the parking brake mount, then drill and install with spacers under the parking brake mount so the shifter cables can run under it.