Build Strategy

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I was wondering how everyone approached their build strategy.

I was considering assembling everything with my currently running donor parts and making any frame changes I thought I needed (i.e. trick tabs for side panel and cargo carrier) before taking it all apart for the next step. The next step would be sending the frame/parts off for powder coating and opening the engine up for timing chain/bolt update, water pump, clutch, and possibly head gasket.

I want the initial build to be with the donor in its current running condition to make issue troubleshooting easier, knowing that assembly after powder coating would be quicker the second time through and make it easier to identify any issues I might cause with the engine work.

I see a lot of build logs where powder coat happens then the build occurs and was curious if it's worth going the build/powder/reassemble route.

My only concern with building it and then disassembling for powder coat is the coolant hoses. Is it easy to remove the hoses or do you just do the first start with no cooling system and not let it run very long?

I'm still a couple of months out but I'm a planner, so just trying to get my plan straight now.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Unless you have some different ideas for yours that’s going to take some experimental mods, I would do whatever mods to the frame you have seen on others before powder coat. These technically go together perfectly, unmodified.

I always felt that if I pulled everything out of the cobalt running and driving, it should go in the goblin running and driving. Meaning, if it didn’t start after the transfer, I knew it was 99% a main harness wiring problem, due to the modifications. Not touching anything else eliminated the possibility of problems. The downside to this is the engine and/or trans may need to come out once the build is don, if there is a problem.

once building, mods always happen to fit your liking. You just have to run with it.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My strategy was to get it on the road quick, as the fun (for me) increases when driving and using the vehicle. I was worried I took on too big of a project, and it might get moth balled before the fun was found. I figured I would make time for changes if I was using and enjoying the car.

Also, it is easy to start analyzing, problem solving, and buying aftermarket parts for a car that I have never driven. Never experienced. Never really knowing if the problem needed solving in the first place. So my strategy was build it simple, quick, and modify later. Learn, experience, then start modifying. Well that was the idea. I ended up doing some modifications early, but I tried to stick to my strategy.

Scott #321

My strategy was very similar. I had planned for changes I wanted to make before I even received my frame and made them before powder coating. I did install the engine assembly for the purpose of measurements and during that time just laid the harness in for my first start to verify the harness was at least correct enough to run. I purchased upgraded intercooler and heat exchanger as my plan is to remove and tear down the power train for rebuild over the winter. I would agree with what others have said about learning to drive this thing in stock form first as it performs like no other vehicle you will ever drive. Every build is different and every builder has a different end game in mind so enjoy the process and work it according to your own desire and strengths. I imagine every builder would do something different on a second build than what they did on the first.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I’m not even through Stage 1 but this is what I’d recommend.

1 read as many build threads as you can.
2 make a list of mods others have made that you would like.
3 narrow that list down to only the mods that are a must have for you. The more you change, the slower the build will go.
4 eliminate mods that would require re-engineering or extensive experimenting. KISS principal.
5 if it requires assembly before powder coating to mod, it’s probably too complicated. Is it REALLY necessary?
6 make frame mods then powder coat.
7 any mods other than frame can be done after assembly begins.

Seat changes look like they could be the most challenging to do without mocking up to ensure proper fit. Mock up doesn’t count as assembly though.

You don’t HAVE to get all the parts you want coated done at the same time. Other than the chassis, there isn’t many parts to modify though. Fuel tank and suspension- see #4. Brackets - easy enough to install and remove and modify.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
I did my homework and decided what frame mods I wanted to do before powder-coat. The two mods I decided on were the seat mounting rails & the diamond-plate floor. In hindsight the only thing I would have changed was mounting an additional horizontal bar about 8" higher for the shoulder harness straps. Why build the car just to tear it down later to paint? My powder-coat guy charged extra for small batches so I had everything done at once to save a few $$.

Also I think I would have spent just a few more $$ and had the fuel tank powder-coated as well. If you do that just be sure and mask off the area where the fuel pump "O"ring seats.

Attachments

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I did my first start without any coolant in the vehicle and just didn't let it run very long. Not because I was planning to take everything apart again, but because I didn't have coolant on hand and didn't want to run to the store.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The 'perfectionist's' way to do the build is leave it bare framed, make mods as you build - this IS a kit and tinkering is a must - to get EVERYTHING in place, make sure everything works and drives, then take it all apart to do the finish work. Yep, this takes A LOT OF TIME and - unfortunately - there are so many really cool ideas posted almost daily on the forum that getting to the 'end of the mods' stage is almost impossible. o_O But for those of us who enjoy the journey as much as the destination, with ample time and resources, can build the ideal Goblin in due time. We all do our own thing and the results are always spectacular. :D:cool:

ATMironov

The 'perfectionist's' way to do the build is leave it bare framed, make mods as you build - this IS a kit and tinkering is a must - to get EVERYTHING in place, make sure everything works and drives, then take it all apart to do the finish work. Yep, this takes A LOT OF TIME and - unfortunately - there are so many really cool ideas posted almost daily on the forum that getting to the 'end of the mods' stage is almost impossible. o_O But for those of us who enjoy the journey as much as the destination, with ample time and resources, can build the ideal Goblin in due time. We all do our own thing and the results are always spectacular. :D:cool:
Im with the sqwatch.
I'm doing a full mockup before powder coat as I'm making lots of changes, but 1/2 the fun here for me is the build.
As for the cooling, you could just run the coolant hoses zipped tied to the outside of the frame rails.