DCMoney's Extended Street Goblin - 06 SS SC - #111 Registered

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I'll post here instead of Ross's thread.
I would try lowering your cold tire pressures some to help with that snap oversteer. Go down 2lbs, warm the tires and test. Someplace safe without consequences if you spin.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I'll post here instead of Ross's thread.
I would try lowering your cold tire pressures some to help with that snap oversteer. Go down 2lbs, warm the tires and test. Someplace safe without consequences if you spin.
I'm running 17psi up front and 19 in the rear. I need to go lower, as I wore out the center of my tires first.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I'm running 17psi up front and 19 in the rear. I need to go lower, as I wore out the center of my tires first.
I've been running 12 front/ 14 rear at air temps 65 and up. Getting fairly even wear, but needing to remove camber at both ends to obtain a full contact patch.
The Toyo's are just too stiff of a tire, as their built to support a heavier car.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Got my drivers side body work attached, really happy with the results. Always room for improvement but this will do.

Light bar mount worked out great, gave it another flange so it locks into the frame making it a really solid mount.

Need to start prioritizing my winter project list. Hood needs to be #1 but that shifter mod JSTAX is working on looks enticing!

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Some of you may have seen in the Midwest Meet up thread my transmission decided it needed a few more holes in it, 55 minutes from the meet up spot. I felt the car shutter for a split second, felt similar to a miss fire but nothing popped up on the dash. Happened again a mile or so later, looked in my mirrors and saw smoke billowing out of the back of the engine. Still no oil pressure light or check engine, got off at the next exit, as soon as I slowed down I could smell the transmission fluid, car didn't want to go into 1st or 2nd. State farm's road side assistance cost me like 30 cents a month and covered the whole 3 hour tow home.

Pulled the transmission out. Dropped the sub frame, lowered the engine and transmission down and slid the transmission out, this way worked really well.

Tore the transmission apart, the internet isnt kidding when they say you need some specific tools to pull the transmission apart, I didnt have any gear pullers that would work so I went with the next best thing, I cut the gears off that were pressed on.with a cut off wheel on my grinder...

Saved the most important part. Everything else is in the trash!

The transmission with the LSD was one I bought off a guy on marketplace for practically nothing, it has always had a really bad gear whine on deceleration. I didn't want to have that transmission rebuilt because the dingus that pulled it off forgot a bolt and broke off one of the mounting tabs. Most likely what I'll end up doing is if DF still has any of those F35's available I'll buy one of those and send this quaife LSD to them to install in a zero mile F35.

Any way, threw the transmission I had from the donor in today, while I have the subframe off going to clean up a few other things.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
And the root cause of the failure is...?
So sorry this happened on your way to the gathering and ruined your weekend. Hopefully this will turn out ok and be an opportunity to get something better in place that you know will not cause problems in the future. New transmissions can be a good thing. :)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I emailed Adam this morning to see if they had any left.
So sorry this happened on your way to the gathering and ruined your weekend. Hopefully this will turn out ok and be an opportunity to get something better in place that you know will not cause problems in the future. New transmissions can be a good thing. :)
I can attest Lonny knows how to install the Quaife very competently. :)
It hurt to see you had issues and did not make that meet.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I found a bunch of the rollers out of the taper bearing at the bottom of the shaft where the final drive meets up, inside and outside the transmission...

On a more positive note. One thing I did over the winter was install my linelock inline with my rear brake line. It's been working great! I have a pretty steep driveway and left it engaged for about 8 hours one day, wheel chock an inch or so behind the rear wheel just in case. Step on the brake push down on the line lock, release the brake, release the button, linelock holds the brake on, press the brake, linelock releases.

This is not an emergency brake and is not meant to replace an e brake, my state doesn't require us to have e brakes, and this was cheap and easy.

Finally got around to installing my Saturn VUE EPS (electric power steering) and the potentiometer kit I got from another member here so I could dial the assistance in the motor to a desired amount. Found I run it pretty much on the least amount of assistance, there is a noticeable difference when its off. Pot is on my button panel easily adjusted on the fly, its crazy to feel no assistance then full assistance while cruising down the road.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
DC, good to see your line lock works. I have one the shelf to install at some point in the future, once I get to final assembly...maybe in 2021 at the rate I am progressing.

Murcielago311

Just checking in. Do you have your car back up and driving?
Going with your insurance provider, it's nice to know I have roadside assistance and they came through for ya.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Finally got around to building my hood. Had one of the really talented fabricators at work weld it up for me. Really happy with the result, not sure when I'll get it powder coated, might wait till the end of the driving season and see if I want to make any changes.

Louvered panel was a test piece, will do the same on both sides. Might have to go with a smaller brake booster like Desert Sasquatch did, stock one really is huge and is in the way.

Will get the same camo vinyl on the panels.

Going to weld in a plate onto the radiator mount and bolt the hood to it. With a nylon washer or bushing I should be able to pull the pins and make the hood pivot forward.

A transition piece between the hood and the frame plus a small Arial atom style wind screen will probably be a winter project.

Light bar is going to move to the front of the hood, going to try to integrate it into a grill of some sort.

Total weight 16 pounds.

Rear wing is next...