DF Quick release steering wheel adaptor

Doug Rostad

What has anyone done to get this DF Quick release adaptor to mount to the column? the nut doesn't even fit inside , let alone a socket to tighten it .

Sebnuts

Drilled the hole out bigger
Actually, I think I used a sanding drum on a dremel to open the hole up, not a drill.

Last edited:

Nimrod26

I just used a 45 degree router bit and ran it around the hole and it worked great. Even though the aluminum is soft I still did it in two passes.
IMG_6218.jpeg
IMG_1641.jpeg

RickS

With this being a part that is made by DF... why isn't it already pre-drilled to the correct diameter?

Is it a normal thing to have to modify the kit with other parts too? I've read about issues with the control arms (I think?) having more of a space than it should when first assembling. That requires tightening down to get it to align properly - which I understand is a product of the weld shrink?

Being a hand built DIY kit, I understand that not everything is going to fit together perfectly... Hell even hand built supercars such as McLaren and Ferrari use different numbers of shims because each body panel is different... Just looking to hear how much extra work everyone has had to do to make everything assemble correctly.

Sebnuts

Just looking to hear how much extra work everyone has had to do to make everything assemble correctly.
I had to enlarge the holes on the button panels, clearance the transmission shifter bracket, and source some missing hardware. Those were the only modifications I would have had to do if I kept everything "stock".

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I think it depends on the donor year/model and in some cases, tolerance stacking. I had to modify some things I didn't see anyone else have a problem with and some of the things I expected to have problems with weren't an issue at all - my quick-release parts went together with no modification, including the steering shaft nut fitting just fine.

Doug Rostad

So , I borrowed a 1-1/4" drill bit from work and used it to taper the inner lip of the aluminum hub. Not as beautiful as
Nimrod26's but, the first picture is the hubs bolted together with the hub nut inside there
So , another question ,,,,,, someone here may have a solution for........... What is a good center cap for the steering wheel ?

Attachments