Df rear calipers

devianteng

So I used a bleeder bottle same thing no rear brakes and fluid starts squirting from rear reservoir to front. I replaced master with a dorman it was even worse . The three chamber Tilton reservoir made diagnosis easy since the brake front and rear brake system is separated individual reservoir. Talked with Chevrolet parts department the ac delco master cylinder is discontinued.anyone have # off the Wilwood master cylinder? What’s required pedals as well?
I also use the Tilton 3 reservoir setup, which has been great with my Cobalt donor master cylinder.

Are you saying that with your original master cylinder, and even a replacement/reman from Dorman, fluid is leaking inside the master cylinder from the rear system to the front? Very odd that a replacement had the exact same issue.

Pure anecdote, but I'll share that I had nothing but trouble with the rear calipers that DF provided me. Driver side would lock up and not release unless reset the piston, then after another 50-100 miles it would lock up again, even if I didn't touch the parking brake. I picked up a new/reman caliper from a local part store and issue was gone. Then 2 months later the SAME issue happened with the other caliper, so I replaced it too. Things have been great since then.

devianteng

How'd you make that work out?
Went with Tilton 72-578, with the -4AN fittings on the front. Couple bar clamps, and used some aluminum flat stock to make a mount (and even mounted a battery disconnect behind it, sitting right behind the dash). Pre-made -4AN lines back to the brake and clutch master cylinders with appropriate fittings. Hopefully these 2 photos show everything well enough.

IMG_7363.jpg IMG_7364.jpg

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Interesting. I'd love my clutch to be on a separate system than the brakes. Honda's were that way and it made more sense.

D&dgoblin69

I also use the Tilton 3 reservoir setup, which has been great with my Cobalt donor master cylinder.

Are you saying that with your original master cylinder, and even a replacement/reman from Dorman, fluid is leaking inside the master cylinder from the rear system to the front? Very odd that a replacement had the exact same issue.

Pure anecdote, but I'll share that I had nothing but trouble with the rear calipers that DF provided me. Driver side would lock up and not release unless reset the piston, then after another 50-100 miles it would lock up again, even if I didn't touch the parking brake. I picked up a new/reman caliper from a local part store and issue was gone. Then 2 months later the SAME issue happened with the other caliper, so I replaced it too. Things have been great since then.
What rear calipers did you buy? I had drums in the back for my colbalt. Will the front donor calipers work?

devianteng

What rear calipers did you buy? I had drums in the back for my colbalt. Will the front donor calipers work?
DF provides you front calipers that are from the front of a 2007-2010 Cobalt base model. If you don't option the Parking Brake Kit, you will use your donor's front calipers on the rear of the Goblin. If you buy the Parking Brake Kit, DF provides you rear calipers (and rotors/pads) that come from the rear of a 2006-2009 Solstice/Sky.

GOBLIN W/ PARKING BRAKE - CALIPER PART NUMBERS:
18-B5050 is the rear drivers side brake caliper, from a 2006-09 Pontiac Solstice (brake pads: 15271565)
18-B5051 is the rear passenger side brake caliper, from a 2006-09 Pontiac Solstice (brake pads: 15271565)
18-B4880A is the front driver side brake caliper, from a 2007-10 Chevy Cobalt (base 2.2 liter engine)
18-B4881A is the front passenger side brake caliper, from a 2007-10 Chevy Cobalt (base 2.2 liter engine)

I want to say my DF provided rear calipers were Duralast remans, which I replaced with BrakeBest remans from Orielly Auto. I've been problem free since swapping them on. I also received incorrect brake pads from DF for my fronts, and ended up buying Power Stop Z23-956 pads for the front.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Have you made sure the master is completely retracted when in the rest position? Take your hand and pull up (toward you) on the lever, to make sure it’s all the way back. I remember a few having this problem that the lever sticks or in a bind and pushed just a little on the master making the rear impossible to get flow. Hell, loosen the master from the booster to see if anything changes.

Dorman is good for the things they originally set up their business for, like door handles and such. This new line of other parts like brakes and suspension, are the cheapest of cheap China crap ever. I have had nothing but trouble with them and refuse to use parts like that from them. Here’s the delco part number. Yes it’s discontinued, but helps when cross referencing. - 19209201

D&dgoblin69

Thanks for the info devianteng and rttoys. I’ll check that plunger to see if it’s full retracted.I keep the front
Calipers from the donor I’ll text fit them tonight. I talked with Tilton reservoir they said each of the 3 chambers are separated so there’s no way for fluid to cross over so when I bled the rears and it squirts from the front breather cap that means it’s bypassing the master cylinder.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Post a picture of the master, booster, pedal box area. Maybe one of us can see something out of place.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Plenty of compatible brake master options fwiw

Have you made sure the master is completely retracted when in the rest position? Take your hand and pull up (toward you) on the lever, to make sure it’s all the way back. I remember a few having this problem that the lever sticks or in a bind and pushed just a little on the master making the rear impossible to get flow. Hell, loosen the master from the booster to see if anything changes.
I had an issue bleeding my rear brakes too, I don't remember exactly how it unfolded but I think my issue was a wire that I didn't realize was preventing the pedal from fully returning. Pedal return is a good thing to double check.

D&dgoblin69

I went to check pedal return yes it returns with what feels like spring pressure. Pedals good. I have a brand new bad leaking dorman master cylinder. I went back out used my had on the brake pedal and brake fluid squirts out the front brakes.should get a brake best orielly master cylinder this weekend. I got the donor calipers ready

Attachments

D&dgoblin69

So my donor was 4 lugs and I bought 5 lug bearings and the rear parking brake kit. Not sure if a 4 lug donor caliper will fit a 5 lug with rotor. Quess I’ll find out.

D&dgoblin69

I talked with buddy today he is my Shopforman of 40 years with General Motors. He explained to me how the solstice parking brake calipers work. The parking brake is kinda of like an acre jack mechanical ratching. Sometimes the parking brake can get stuck in the caliper hydraulic piston. He told me to try screwing the calipers all the back in like Iam getting rear to change brake pads. He said sometimes the parking brake gets stuck in the piston usually when you have a 100,000 miles and you never use your parking brake. He told me to try to pry the parking brake away from the caliper hydraulic cup and proceed as normal. Waiting on new master cylinder blowing that fixes my issue.

D&dgoblin69

Ok I got the rear calipers supplied by dfkit to work. I forgot what I did lol no really if anyone ever does what I did then god forgive them.The brake caliper has a stamp rh in picture means right side and the other caliper has a lh for left hand. But since they’re built in China and they drive on the wrong side of the road it makes sense . This left an air bubble that could not escape because the bleeder was facing down. Common sense never kicked in.if you get the solstice parking brake kit they’re actually pretty bad ass when they’re installed properly. So if you see lh left hand side being drivers side you may need to put it on the passenger side and vice verse.

Attachments