Donor Opinions / Questions

Traé

Hello all,

New here and have been looking for a donor for months and I’m having a lot of trouble finding what I want. I don’t want to deal with the auction sites and shipping so I’m looking as local to me (Ohio) as possible. I specifically want an 06-07 SS/NA for the 2.4 and the stronger internals (or so I believe through research). Thinking about picking this one up saturday for the agreed upon price of $2,500. It’s an 06 SS/NA with 146,305 miles. It’s a little more than I want to spend but looks acceptable for the build.
What is your opinion?

Post Description w/ attached pictures;
“Lots of newer parts, runs and drives great. Driver side cv axle is starting to click when turning, check engine light is for evap leak but doesn’t effect drivability”

Question;
After viewing the pictures and from experience, what parts could be sold to recoup some of the money?

Attachments

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
But, to give you a more serious answer, that seems like a fine donor, considering your parameters. At that mileage, I'd consider tearing down the engine and giving it a refresh build. You'd probably save some money if you went with IAAI or Copart, but in this age of overpriced used cars, $2500 isn't so bad.

RGSkid70

Since it hasn't been wrecked, you could probably get a couple hundred bucks for various body panels, doors, etc. If you don't mind the hassle of listing each individual piece on marketplace. Seats look to be in good shape. You can either use them in your Goblin or sell them.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Hello all,

New here and have been looking for a donor for months and I’m having a lot of trouble finding what I want. I don’t want to deal with the auction sites and shipping so I’m looking as local to me (Ohio) as possible. I specifically want an 06-07 SS/NA for the 2.4 and the stronger internals (or so I believe through research). Thinking about picking this one up saturday for the agreed upon price of $2,500. It’s an 06 SS/NA with 146,305 miles. It’s a little more than I want to spend but looks acceptable for the build.
What is your opinion?

Post Description w/ attached pictures;
“Lots of newer parts, runs and drives great. Driver side cv axle is starting to click when turning, check engine light is for evap leak but doesn’t effect drivability”

Question;
After viewing the pictures and from experience, what parts could be sold to recoup some of the money?
Ohio? Evap leak is probably the fuel/evap line pair rusting out. I'm pretty sure that is a SS rear bumper cover but the front looks like a standard replacement. It has no fog lights but I see a fog light switch.
Don't be surprised if you find the fog light wires taped up behind the bumper cover or even the fog lights themselves zip tied to something back there! A local had a G5 with the base Cobalt bumper cover(cheap repair), it glowed out the grill (sometimes?) at night, we found the right fog light zip tied to the sub structure. He left it there, he liked the glow, once he knew what it was.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Potentially everything not needed to build the Goblin can be sold. Some have better luck in different regions, I couldn't get rid of my interior plastic pieces but all other items went pretty easily. It really depends on how much nonsense from The Facebook Marketplace you can handle.

Traé

But, to give you a more serious answer, that seems like a fine donor, considering your parameters. At that mileage, I'd consider tearing down the engine and giving it a refresh build. You'd probably save some money if you went with IAAI or Copart, but in this age of overpriced used cars, $2500 isn't so bad.
What all is involved in that? Machining? New internals? I’ve never dug into the inside of an engine so that will be new to me. I’m not opposed to doing it, depending on cost to complete. Trying to keep this as budget friendly as possible but also want it running as best it can.

Ross

Goblin Guru
What all is involved in that? Machining? New internals? I’ve never dug into the inside of an engine so that will be new to me. I’m not opposed to doing it, depending on cost to complete. Trying to keep this as budget friendly as possible but also want it running as best it can.
My donor had 197K miles on it... only did basic maintenance on it. I plan to rebuild it this winter... but have been driving my goblin since 2019. So you could put off a full rebuild until after your goblin is running.

Traé

Ohio? Evap leak is probably the fuel/evap line pair rusting out. I'm pretty sure that is a SS rear bumper cover but the front looks like a standard replacement. It has no fog lights but I see a fog light switch.
Don't be surprised if you find the fog light wires taped up behind the bumper cover or even the fog lights themselves zip tied to something back there! A local had a G5 with the base Cobalt bumper cover(cheap repair), it glowed out the grill (sometimes?) at night, we found the right fog light zip tied to the sub structure. He left it there, he liked the glow, once he knew what it was.
Yep! I’m in Delaware, OH.
I’m hoping to get as much as I can out of parts I don’t need but also don’t want to sit on them forever. My shed will be the perfect place for them though haha.
I’ll take a look underneath when I go to check it out.

Goblin Guru
What Ross said. Your engine should be fine as-is, especially if it was well-maintained.

Sebnuts

I would replace the timing chain while it was out of the car. The plastic guides are known to brake.

Traé

Just found an 06 SS/SC with 72k miles for a thousand more dollars. Pretty sure I’m changing my mind :oops:. Trying to find / decide on a donor has me stressed enough already and I haven’t even started.

Goblin Guru
Just found an 06 SS/SC with 72k miles for a thousand more dollars. Pretty sure I’m changing my mind :oops:. Trying to find / decide on a donor has me stressed enough already and I haven’t even started.
Tell me about it. I can't stop looking at potential Coyote 5.0L donors.

Sebnuts

I would pay 1k more for the 72k donor for sure, especially if it isn't as rough overall. You could probably get quite a bit more for the body panels if they're straight and rust free.

Traé

Tell me about it. I can't stop looking at potential Coyote 5.0L donors.
Seller claims floor pan is rusted and rockers are shot. Pictures I have now look great to me. It is in Michigan though and I requested pics of the undercarriage so I’m a little nervous. Once I get the video of it running I’ll haggle on price a little bit they seem firm at 3.5k. Lots of close up pics they sent me. And it even has the red cap on the fuse box!!

I got excited and think I misinterpreted you saying “Tell me about it” as in the car haha

Attachments

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The tell tale is the strut caps in the engine bay. Those are very rusty and they are 2 1/2 feet above the salty Michigan roads. Guaranteed the subframe is completely rusted and the rest of the suspension pieces you would need to use from the donor are very corroded. If the seller is stating the rocker panels are rusted you can bet they are nearly rusted through. Likely he is selling just before they start to buckle, which would drop the price for this car precipitously. The decision on this one is based on the low miles for the drivetrain, which is your biggest expense. The engine and transmission will surface corrosion and the suspension pieces will need clean up or replacement. I would definitely crawl underneath to check on this. Northern donors are destined to have extra expense for corrosion replacements.

Traé

The tell tale is the strut caps in the engine bay. Those are very rusty and they are 2 1/2 feet above the salty Michigan roads. Guaranteed the subframe is completely rusted and the rest of the suspension pieces you would need to use from the donor are very corroded. If the seller is stating the rocker panels are rusted you can bet they are nearly rusted through. Likely he is selling just before they start to buckle, which would drop the price for this car precipitously. The decision on this one is based on the low miles for the drivetrain, which is your biggest expense. The engine and transmission will surface corrosion and the suspension pieces will need clean up or replacement. I would definitely crawl underneath to check on this. Northern donors are destined to have extra expense for corrosion replacements.
That’s a very good point.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Can confirm. I dailyed my Cobalt for years (in Michigan) before I found the Goblin. Rockers were annihilated. I did all new suspension, and even replaced the subframe because of all the rust.

Where in Michigan is it? One of us Michigan guys could go look at it if we're close.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I found it. Too far from me (Dryden). Also found this. High miles but cheap and already partly disassembled