F40 Transmission - Will It Work?

Just a question, but roughly what have some of you builders put into these kits so far money wise? I've been seeing some builds upwards of 20k and I'm not sure I will be able to dish out that kind of $ down the road.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I put mine on the road with under $12k into it. Still had about $1k worth of Cobalt parts in the shop, that needed to be sold.
My goal was to get it road legal quickly, then work on upgrades.
So it had no body panels, Cobalt seats, Cobalt tires, rustoleum painted frame, but it was road legal, and fun to drive.

Now I am over $15k,
with the wide tires and wheels, fenders, HP Tuners, new wheel hubs and bearings, some maintenance items.
Still planning body panels.

I put mine on the road with under $12k into it. Still had about $1k worth of Cobalt parts in the shop, that needed to be sold.
My goal was to get it road legal quickly, then work on upgrades.
So it had no body panels, Cobalt seats, Cobalt tires, rustoleum painted frame, but it was road legal, and fun to drive.

Now I am over $15k,
with the wide tires and wheels, fenders, HP Tuners, new wheel hubs and bearings, some maintenance items.
Still planning body panels.
That sounds more easily achievable to me, but I live in Massachusetts and from what I've read on Factory Five's forums and what my uncle now has to go through with his upcoming Cobra build, getting kit cars road legal in Massachusetts and finding an insurance company to underwrite a policy is a sh*t show.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
On the other side of the cost $$$ coin (pun intended) getting kit options, buying a new motor, transmission, and multiple wear items to replace old & worn donor parts can put you over the $30K mark and more, depending upon how much customizing you are will to do. Each Goblin is unique, built to the liking (and $$$) of the owner. Any way you go on a build you will have a quick car that YOU built, and the satisfaction of knowing the blood, sweat and cuss words that went into the build. ;)

On the other side of the cost $$$ coin (pun intended) getting kit options, buying a new motor, transmission, and multiple wear items to replace old & worn donor parts can put you over the $30K mark and more, depending upon how much customizing you are will to do. Each Goblin is unique, built to the liking (and $$$) of the owner. Any way you go on a build you will have a quick car that YOU built, and the satisfaction of knowing the blood, sweat and cuss words that went into the build. ;)
I was planning on a complete motor rebuild from whatever donor car I can find, preferably the LNF and was going to just upgrade/rebuild the f35 but it seems like the f40 is the way to go if DF is going to make an option for the frame in the future.

KLMOTORSPORTS

I will probably have about $25-30K in mine when all done to include a spare engine (want one on standby in case I shack one racing), but I am just building mine for racing, so not using a lot of the standard Cobalt donor parts (bought new in almost all cases). As stated above, that is what is cool about these....so many ways to build them depending on wants, budget, a host of things....very rewarding project!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I was planning on a complete motor rebuild from whatever donor car I can find, preferably the LNF and was going to just upgrade/rebuild the f35 but it seems like the f40 is the way to go if DF is going to make an option for the frame in the future.
DF already has the F40 option available, I have it, Ken Leiker has it, and I believe Microsoftisevil ordered his kit with the modification already - with several other builders/potential builders looking into this too.
Please note: the are a couple other threads that go into the F40 - build logs from KLMotorsports, Tinkles, mine, others - that have additional information to consider. If you search on 'F40' they will pop up.
Guessing the cost of a rebuilt F35 pushed you to consider the F40?

Tinkles

I just dropped my chassis off at the fabrication shop today to have the changes made that I want done. We talked about options to clearance my frame for the F40. I told them to do whatever they think will be best/strongest. I should know in a week or 2 what they did.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
So what is the outcome with your frame mod to make clearance for the F40 trans? It's been a while and I am curious to see how this came out?

Tinkles

The car is still at the fab shop and will probably be there for at least another month(I keep on adding little tid bits to the list of work). But last I was there they had the F40 taken care of aside from finish welding everything. They replaced that whole bar that the trans mount is on and sectioned in a bent bar going up to the strut mounting point(sleeved and welded). I don't have any good pictures to shop, I do plan on getting some next time I visit them but that wont be until after the new year.

AZmoto

So here's a dumb question: How difficult would it be to run an F35 in an F40 modded frame?

KLMOTORSPORTS

So here's a dumb question: How difficult would it be to run an F35 in an F40 modded frame?
it would need some modification...the trans mount is different for F40....prob doable though. Would check with Adam and Lonnie...not 100% sure other mods were done (except for the lower frame rail, which has a bend in it that the F35 doesn’t to allow for trans clearance)

Tinkles

It should fit right in. My frame are originally set up for the F35 and everything lined up with my F40 except that the frame needed to be clearanced. So going backwards should not be an issue at all.

I am assuming you want to go with the F40 down the road, but want to get it running 1st with the F35.