Fenix's Goblin #461 - 2010 Base Auto

Fenix Nexen

Just buy new ones. They are cheap.

but have you loosened the jam nut? Or is that what won’t turn?
Got it :D
The jam but is rusted in place. I got the tie rod off. Nevermind the other side is frozen solid both nut and tie rod.
Edit:
After much swearing I'll just buy new ones

Last edited:

Fenix Nexen

Doing an inspection on the 2 brake rotors i received for stage 2 and wondering if this pair is 5x114.3 or 5x110. I ordered the 5x114.3 bearing hubs as part of stage 2. The hole pattern lines up pretty well with my 5x110 donor rotor. Fingers crossed that more of stage 2 will be shipped sometime this week

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
The rotor "redrilling" may be scary to see as the HUB has 5 NEW holes drilled in it for changing the stud spacing BUT the Rotor may appear untouched! The difference is rotors are centered on the hub's large center hole and the 5 lug stud holes just need to be en-longated radially(away from the center point). The new lug holes appear oval after this change but still engage the lug studs on the sides of the holes, securely connecting the disc to the hub.

Fenix Nexen

The rotor "redrilling" may be scary to see as the HUB has 5 NEW holes drilled in it for changing the stud spacing BUT the Rotor may appear untouched! The difference is rotors are centered on the hub's large center hole and the 5 lug stud holes just need to be en-longated radially(away from the center point). The new lug holes appear oval after this change but still engage the lug studs on the sides of the holes, securely connecting the disc to the hub.
I think you’re good. Those oblong holes let it fit. Mine was the same.
good to know :)

donor was picked up today, was paid 70 dollars for it, garage now has so much more room for activities

Fenix Nexen

Went and bought new 'front' brakes since the donor ones looked like too much elbow grease was needed. Will be attempting to paint all 4 some point soon. Painted the steering knuckles. Laid down paper for future painting where the donor used to sit. Still waiting on parts to ship out and parts to finish being at powder coating. Lead time seems to be about 2 to 3 weeks for both DF and powder coating. Waiting on stage 3 invoice and the rest of stage 2. Dumping pictures:

Before cleaning and painting:

After:

Donor is gone, might use the hood to practice painting:

Paint area:

New brakes:

Prepped jam nuts:

Installed front shocks, control arms are stuck at powder coating:

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Did you order the parking brake kit? If so, that replaces the "front" brakes, and the DF kit includes the brakes that go to the front of the goblin.

Fenix Nexen

Did you order the parking brake kit? If so, that replaces the "front" brakes, and the DF kit includes the brakes that go to the front of the goblin.
i didnt but i did save all the stuff needed for it just in case i change my mind down the road

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I don't think it's included for automatic donor kits. The change was to include it on all manual trans donor kits.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Because "e-brake" really stands for emergency brake and is meant to be a backup for hydraulic brakes in addition holding a car when parked. Many states (if not all) have a requirement for a second braking system independent of the main brake system (so hydraulic hand brakes don't meet this requirement).

Hellproof

Because "e-brake" really stands for emergency brake and is meant to be a backup for hydraulic brakes in addition holding a car when parked. Many states (if not all) have a requirement for a second braking system independent of the main brake system (so hydraulic hand brakes don't meet this requirement).
Texas technically requires one on new builds, along with a light/signal somewhere that can notify you when it is active. Sometimes the inspector doesn't check for it though, but its a requirement now.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
it kills me that most new emergency brakes are electric instead of cable and lever. I can and have limped home a vehicle that lost hydraulic brakes, using the emergency brake. Can’t do that with a button. :rolleyes:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Texas technically requires one on new builds, along with a light/signal somewhere that can notify you when it is active. Sometimes the inspector doesn't check for it though, but its a requirement now.
It always has been. At least since when I was an inspector 20-25 years ago. Most inspectors forget about it though, unless it’s on when it shouldn’t be. Usually then, abs light is also on too. Which ironically isn’t an inspection item.

Fenix Nexen

Moving on have some torque questions, I know there is a chart laying around somewhere but here is a picture of the few torq specs i need and how would i go about torqueing down B as shown in the picture? and do I use the donor bolts at D? to torque B and C id need a crescent torque wrench I suppose. I know the knuckle goes at D, just have them loosely there to not misplace them. Also should I put anti-seize on the BC coilover threads?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I rarely torque anything outside of something like head bolts. But maybe I’ve been doing this long enough to have a good feel for tight enough.

But you can get a set of crows foot wrenches to use with a standard torque wrench. Probably not as accurate as directly using a torque wrench but good enough for most things.
Yes use anti seize on the coil over threads.

Fenix Nexen

Anti seized the bc coilovers and painted one of the brake calipers, turned out nice, ordered more paint to do the rest, will most likely make the valve cover the same color

I will be asking for help filling out montana registration stuff soon just to get a head start and have everything filled out and ready