First post - Just bought an 06 Cobalt SS/SC

Hi goblin community,

Long time lurker first time contributor. I’ve been interested in this kit for years. Finding a donor that I could justify the money into was hard. Then just the other week a saw a post on FB marketplace. Fast forward to now and there’s a slightly wrecked SS/SC in my garage waiting to be ripped apart.

Super excited to take on this project. I’ve built just about everything else. Time for a fun car. I have a lot of friends and family that are excited to help.

Im pretty set on what kit I’m going to get, but I’m waiting until I get this donor broken down. One think I look forward to is the exhaust. There are some amazing options that I’ve seen out there.

Alright, time to get back to work.
Pleasure meeting everyone.

~Zo

Attachments

CCascioli

Welcome to the forums! You are going to want to order your kit asap because once you get rolling on pulling the donor apart you are not going to want to be waiting lol. The whole build process is a lot of fun... some say more fun than actually driving it but that will be up to you :cool: Anyways, once you get your chassis # you should make a build log... tons of help to be had here! I wish I would have.. but I didnt.... now I just lurk in the shadows of the forums :D

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Hi goblin community,

Long time lurker first time contributor. I’ve been interested in this kit for years. Finding a donor that I could justify the money into was hard. Then just the other week a saw a post on FB marketplace. Fast forward to now and there’s a slightly wrecked SS/SC in my garage waiting to be ripped apart.

Super excited to take on this project. I’ve built just about everything else. Time for a fun car. I have a lot of friends and family that are excited to help.

Im pretty set on what kit I’m going to get, but I’m waiting until I get this donor broken down. One think I look forward to is the exhaust. There are some amazing options that I’ve seen out there.

Alright, time to get back to work.
Pleasure meeting everyone.

~Zo
Just dang! Look how long it took to get welcomed into the family?! (And I’m more of a cousin!) But Welcome! I am currently working with a goblin owner that his life “sidelined” his build. I got the chance to be in his area and in about 6 Four hour work days we’ve gone from late stage 2 to running and driving!! The poor guy was lamenting on the forum that he was a little overwhelmed. I wish I could claim that I am why he succeeded but mostly I think it was just a second POV that was the key, AND an extra pair of hands. There will be a point in every build that it looks like the clouds just will never clear. I’m here to tell you they will clear up, YOU will clear them away! (I sure wish you were near GA! I would buy the driver door, trunk lid, bumper covers and door panels and maybe ft seats. Message me if you’re anywhere near me.)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Another SC, nice :cool: Start a build log and go ahead and get the kit ordered. If you need to tweak your order, there’s time to do it before DF actually builds it and you take delivery.

where are you located?

and
Nice bike :cool:

Welcome to the forums! You are going to want to order your kit asap because once you get rolling on pulling the donor apart you are not going to want to be waiting lol. The whole build process is a lot of fun... some say more fun than actually driving it but that will be up to you :cool: Anyways, once you get your chassis # you should make a build log... tons of help to be had here! I wish I would have.. but I didnt.... now I just lurk in the shadows of the forums :D
Thanks for the warm welcome. I definitely want to start a build log, and I think I might video most of if not all of the process as well.

I love a good project and building things so this should satisfy all those boxes for me.
Thank you again and I look forward to chatting more.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Any pro tips for organizing the things is welcome.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures, so you can reference them later. Once parts come off the cobalt and tossed to the side, it’s very easy to forget where it went and such. Even take pictures of the pile of parts, just in case you need someone to point out something to you.

Also, don’t forget to label everything. If you don’t know what something is called, post a picture and plenty of people will help here.

As far as organizing, there’s no golden rule, but simple things like boxes or bins for nuts and bolts or If the bolt can go back into the part that’s removed, put it back in there. Then you don’t have to find it when you go to install it. Loose ones I separate into different catigories like small interior ones, regular small and big. You will need odds and ends nuts and bolts from the doner and this helps finding them.

organize parts/piles into something like sections: wiring harnesses, drivetrain, interior and such. The videos will tell you what you can toss, so that’s another pile, but also separate trash from sell and scrap yard, so you can get some money back.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Label, label and label some more. Don't come in here a year from know asking about a dozen wire and/or hose connections and what they are for. If you can't tell what something is that it's connected to, label both the connector and the part and or google the part number and determine what that part is. Label wire before you disconnect and take pictures of them showing what they are connected to.

Have I mentioned labeling? We can figure out what stuff is after the fact, but it will slow you down a lot.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
If you can't tell what something is that it's connected to, label both the connector and the part……………Label wire before you disconnect and take pictures of them showing what they are connected to.
This is a great idea. It doesn’t even matter what the part is, as long as it’s labeled together it’ll go back together. You could buy a book of numbers and letters like electricians use and go to town. I did something similar when thinning my wire harness.

Just dang! Look how long it took to get welcomed into the family?! (And I’m more of a cousin!) But Welcome! I am currently working with a goblin owner that his life “sidelined” his build. I got the chance to be in his area and in about 6 Four hour work days we’ve gone from late stage 2 to running and driving!! The poor guy was lamenting on the forum that he was a little overwhelmed. I wish I could claim that I am why he succeeded but mostly I think it was just a second POV that was the key, AND an extra pair of hands. There will be a point in every build that it looks like the clouds just will never clear. I’m here to tell you they will clear up, YOU will clear them away! (I sure wish you were near GA! I would buy the driver door, trunk lid, bumper covers and door panels and maybe ft seats. Message me if you’re anywhere near me.)
I appreciate the words of encouragement. It seems like an involved build so I will probably be reaching out for some assistance at some point.

I’m not too far from GA depending on where you are, could be 8hrs or so. But I’m not driving adverse. As for the panels there are some you won’t want. She was wrecked which is how I got her. But all the goblin parts are safe. I’m happy to take some pictures for you.

thanks for another warm greeting.
Take care

Another SC, nice :cool: Start a build log and go ahead and get the kit ordered. If you need to tweak your order, there’s time to do it before DF actually builds it and you take delivery.

where are you located?

and
Nice bike :cool:
I keep hearing build log, so that’s a must.

I’m in Charlottesville Virginia.

thank you for the bike compliment. I do like my toys. ️️

Label, label and label some more. Don't come in here a year from know asking about a dozen wire and/or hose connections and what they are for. If you can't tell what something is that it's connected to, label both the connector and the part and or google the part number and determine what that part is. Label wire before you disconnect and take pictures of them showing what they are connected to.

Have I mentioned labeling? We can figure out what stuff is after the fact, but it will slow you down a lot.
Build log and label my labels. Got it.

I have a passion for cable management so I can get behind this one. I’ll go pick up all the painters tape and permanent markers.
The wiring harness is the part that seems most daunting. But the videos had it payed out well. It will just take time.

and I need to label everything

thanks for the tip

This is a great idea. It doesn’t even matter what the part is, as long as it’s labeled together it’ll go back together. You could buy a book of numbers and letters like electricians use and go to town. I did something similar when thinning my wire harness.

View attachment 42398
View attachment 42399
This is a great idea. I didn’t even think of that.
That would make one less thing for me to do.

thanks for the idea!

Pictures, pictures and more pictures, so you can reference them later. Once parts come off the cobalt and tossed to the side, it’s very easy to forget where it went and such. Even take pictures of the pile of parts, just in case you need someone to point out something to you.

Also, don’t forget to label everything. If you don’t know what something is called, post a picture and plenty of people will help here.

As far as organizing, there’s no golden rule, but simple things like boxes or bins for nuts and bolts or If the bolt can go back into the part that’s removed, put it back in there. Then you don’t have to find it when you go to install it. Loose ones I separate into different catigories like small interior ones, regular small and big. You will need odds and ends nuts and bolts from the doner and this helps finding them.

organize parts/piles into something like sections: wiring harnesses, drivetrain, interior and such. The videos will tell you what you can toss, so that’s another pile, but also separate trash from sell and scrap yard, so you can get some money back.
Thanks for the tips and info.

I’ll make sure to make pictures of all the things as they come off.