Fuel gauge accuracy?

I suspect this has been discussed, but I can't find a short answer in the forum so far. Short of updating the software to reflect the smaller size of the DF fuel tank, is there an alternate way to improve the accuracy of the gauge? I know the gauge is functional because it will decrease somewhat as fuel is consumed; but it is not remotely accurate. Currently, I never rely on my gauge and simply refuel after @160miles to be safe.

Mahkoi

I filled up last weekend at it was at a half tank according to the gauge. It took a little over 6 gallons at the pump before the handle clicked off so it does appear to be off. It seems like it's the same situation as my 97 camaro I used to have where 1/2 tank means a little less than a quarter and it's time to fill up.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Bend the wire that holds the fuel float. It will take a bit of time to get it dialed in.
The float needs to avoid hitting the walls inside the tank, so it can freely move up and down. You might have to bend it left or right to avoid the walls.
If your gauge is reading E when there is fuel in the tank, you have the float is too high, and you need to bend the float down.
If your gauge is reading F when the tank is half full, you have the float is too low, and you need to bend the float up.

Another option is to get an aftermarket float, that uses magnetic reed switches. The float on these is vertical, so you measure the tank height, and buy the correct height one, also get a GM sender with 30 ohm being a full tank of gas, and 240 ohm being empty.
These fuel senders will jump the fuel gauge in steps. So if you buy a sender with 5 switches, the fuel gauge will show 5 steps: Full, 3/4 full, half full., 1/4 full and Empty. The stock float is nice, when set up correctly, as the gauge uses the whole range, without jumping.

Last edited:

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
When mine is full, it stays full a long time, but a half full indication is just under 4 gallons so I plan on refueling at the half tank indication. It's conservative, but with less fuel and no tank baffles, left hand curves can get interesting.

Thank you Ross. I suspected bending the float wire was a possibility and you confirmed it. Getting it dialed in will be the time consuming part, but I’m in no hurry. Thank you for such a prompt reply and also for providing details and alternatives.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I bent my float wire a little and it reads empty when there is still 2 gallons in the tank. I've only ever pumped 8.2 gallon max into mine. It does exactly as EscapePilot described, long time on full and then drops to empty over maybe 60 miles.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Calibrate to the lower tank level - empty is empty - just to be safe. The upper level is of lesser concern, since runni.g out of gas is more important than needing to see a full tank.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
There is no way to bend the float rod in order for it to be accurate with both full and empty. You would have to straighten out the rod and it doesn't work inside the tank without hitting the baffle. Maybe the new plastic tanks are different. We made ours like Desert said, accurate on empty. It stays full for a long time and drops relatively quickly.

lksohm

I don't remember the specific way I bent my float rod, I think I just did whatever the video said. I have learned that when the needle comes off of full, that tank is about half way down.
I haven't ran it out of gas yet but I know when it's on E it still has SOME fuel.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I filled up last weekend at it was at a half tank according to the gauge. It took a little over 6 gallons at the pump before the handle clicked off so it does appear to be off. It seems like it's the same situation as my 97 camaro I used to have where 1/2 tank means a little less than a quarter and it's time to fill up.
Funny, I had 2 different 97 Z28's and they both did the same thing and would run out of gas uphill if near to E! I was making a U turn in a gas station once and it did it to me!, no restart because I was off level and 30 yds from a pump. The guy wanted to SELL me a gas can for $20. I bought a gallon jug of distilled water, went outside, poured the water on the ground, debit card put about a 3/4 gal of gas in the(now empty) water jug, walked the 30 yds to my car(within the grounds of the gas station!), poured the gas in my tank, threw the gallon jug in the dumpster, started the car and drove it to the competing station ACROSS THE STREET! Thanks Dude! (Ha!)

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
So should I report me? If I’m annoying anyone just don’t read it! Do I need a parental advisory or sumthin? If reading is seriously stressing the reader might I suggest a date with Evelyn Wood!? Or just use the red dot as warning!