Garage Door Openers

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Looking for some input on door openers. Looking to up grade the old opener we have I will usually be entering and exiting the house from the garage. I want a WiFi opener and belt drive for the quietness. Give me your good, bad, or ugly opinions on them. Looking at Genie or Sears ( chamberlin makes the sears )

George

Goblin Guru
I got mine form Overhead Door, do not know if they are in that part of the country. Very quit and smooth.

Brad

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
We have the Genie Excelerator on 5 doors. Had them for 17 years now. Still like them. They are screw drive and not very noisy. They go up very fast and get out of the way. I don't like to wait on the door to get out of the way. They go down at the normal rate. They also vary the speed, for example, if it thinks it should be hitting the limit and it hasn't yet, it will go very slow until it does. This only come into play when you have messed with it such as disengaging it from the track; then it has to re-find the stops again. The one door got the most use as it was used as an entry to the home all the time. I eventually moved it to the shop building and put new ones on the home garage. I really like them.

I have 8' tall doors and they require an extension screw for the extra foot. Once got an extension that was cut 180 degrees out on the screw so the threads would not line up. Had a heck of a time convincing Customer Service that was the case. They were good and sent a whole replacement set just to make sure they matched. None of the Genies that I can tell and WiFi.

I can't stand the Sears junk I had years ago. Very noisy, crappy units. I could have been just since they were the entry level units.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
The Overhead Door openers are the same as the Genie just changed the name on them.

I have had Genie, Sears and Chamberlin all in the past. Genie chain drive and screw drive, and Sears and Chamberlin screw drive. Was not impressed with any of them. I have friends with the Genie Excelerator I did like the speed of it. The reason I was leaning toward the belt drive is they are very quiet. With my job in the winter I can be called out or get home any time of the night. I figure the less people I wake up the better:). I want the WiFi since I could be in any of five different vehicles and I always have my phone with me to use as the opener.

PHerder

You can always add the Chamberlain MyQ WiFi door opener to whatever opener the MyQ supports. That is what I added to my Overhead door openers. It not only lets me open/close the doors (I use it on my single and double garage doors) but it also sends me emails/notifications when a door is opened AND just in case, it will let me know if I left any of those doors open after 10 PM.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
I don't have this one from Ryobi, but it looks really cool because of all the thing you can attach to it! It has the following capabilities:

- Battery backup
- Bluetooth speaker
- Park assist with two lasers
- Self-retracting extension cord attachment
- Small fan
- Security camera
- Tire inflator

https://www.ryobitools.com/gdo/

It is the Swiss Army knife of garage door openers!

Last edited:

theeulogy

I have the Liftmaster 8500 in my outside garage and so far love them. They are literally so quiet that you can not hear them. I have scissor truss roof above my lift, so these are the best solution to the high roof.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Well I went with the Genie 750 Silent max from Home depot. I put it in yesterday. The opener is so quiet standing in the room above the garage the only sound you hear are the rollers in the door track. It is not enough to wake anyone in the bedrooms. The app on the phone seems to work good also. Although when you use the phone before the opener starts to move the door it will beep and flash the lights for about 10 seconds to warn anyone near the door to move out of the way.

RichRich

I just recently installed the Chamberlain. It is the same on how quiet it is, was really weird directly after installing it. MUCH different than the one it replaced and love the ability to use the app. I had a new garage door put in and I asked him what his opinion/experience is with them, his main advise was pretty much go with anything but the ryobi, said they have alot of features that seem cool but have awful reliability. You will like your Genie for years to come

Last edited:

lhwidget

At the other end of the system, this is the handiest remote system I've ever used. Flash your headlights twice and the module sends an open command to the adapter in the garage. I've been using one in my Mustang & my bike for the past two years with my Genie opener.

https://flashtoopen.com/products/flash2pass-complete-garage-door-opening-system-for-motorcycles?adgroupid=37917274314&adposition=1t1&campaignid=683160437&creative=194672388945&device=c&devicemodel=&gclid=CjwKCAiAqbvTBRAPEiwANEkyCDqMIqudKqSEDFssfwg3CpK5KS9-f9kN9JYeWSO5GpS6lGSV0jG-cxoCGYEQAvD_BwE&keyword=+garage+door++remote++motorcycle&matchtype=b&network=g