GM Low Speed Data Wires - Power Steering Issue with Speedo Loss

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Going through AllData and making a reference chart for myself, what is the difference between Ground and Signal Ground?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ground is a grounded wire, like component to chassis. Signal ground is a switched groud through one of the computers like the ecm, pcm, bcm etc.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Ground is a grounded wire, like component to chassis. Signal ground is a switched ground through one of the computers like the ecm, pcm, bcm etc.
Thanks for that info.

Can there be multiple Signal Grounds per circuit?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Thanks for that info.

Can there be multiple Signal Grounds per circuit?
You need to check the wiring diagram for what you are working. Trying to do electrical trouble shooting without one really doesn't work. It's hard enough at times with one.

Some versions of GM call the signal ground "low reference". (edit) Sensor Ground is Low Reference. But be careful, none of this is really locked in stone and can change service manual to service manual.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Thanks, this all gives me much more information about wiring harnesses and the various names listed in the AllData charts.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Ok, may have found something.

There are 5 LS data wires for the LSJ, do they all connect together at the junction (used to be a splice pack)? I only get continuity between the DLC pin 1 and BCM C2 Pin 38. High Speed data wires all have continuity as listed in post #35 above. All other Instrument Panel wires connect to their respective places as well.

The 5 are:
BCM C1 #18
BCM C1 #36
BCM C2 #38
DLC (OBD2 port) #1
Instrument Panel #9

I'm trying to look at the schematics on AllData, but if anyone has inputs that'll help I'd love to hear them.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
All of the remaining ones tied together at the junction is what I remember. But since we aren’t making a chain like the high speed, they can be tied together anywhere as long as they tie in.
So no continuity from low speed at cluster to other low speed?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
All of the remaining ones tied together at the junction is what I remember. But since we aren’t making a chain like the high speed, they can be tied together anywhere as long as they tie in.
So no continuity from low speed at cluster to other low speed?
I actually found one to the DLC that was sheared and barely touching. I now have my Cluster back and it is reading the 'Power Steering Error' message again. I'll check the theft deterrent system schematic and repost the continuity check results once I have it all. When I was messing with it

I also re-hooked up your EPS unit and I still get the same 'Power Steering Error' message. SO this leads me to believe it wiring related and not unit related. Unless your was suspect?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru

There are 5 LS data wires for the LSJ, do they all connect together at the junction (used to be a splice pack)? I only get continuity between the DLC pin 1 and BCM C2 Pin 38. High Speed data wires all have continuity as listed in post #35 above. All other Instrument Panel wires connect to their respective places as well.

The 5 are:
BCM C1 #18
BCM C1 #36
BCM C2 #38
DLC (OBD2 port) #1
Instrument Panel #9

I'm trying to look at the schematics on AllData, but if anyone has inputs that'll help I'd love to hear them.
I’m not sure if this helps at all, but here’s splice pack from when I was thinning the harness. Maybe you see something.

IMG_3101.jpeg
IMG_3102.jpeg

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have 4 wires in my LSJ low speed. You are missing the PCM C1 pin 16.
- OBD-II port Pin 1
- Instrument cluster Pin 9
- BCM C2 pin 38
- PCM C1 pin 16

Your 5 are below, but I don't have the BCM C1 connections.
BCM C1 #18
BCM C1 #36

BCM C2 #38
DLC (OBD2 port) #1
Instrument Panel #9

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Later models have a radio and bc I’m in the x1 connector probably the same as c1 older models. These are not used. Need to make sure they aren’t grounded somewhere.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I have 4 wires in my LSJ low speed. You are missing the PCM C1 pin 16.
- OBD-II port Pin 1
- Instrument cluster Pin 9
- BCM C2 pin 38
- PCM C1 pin 16

Your 5 are below, but I don't have the BCM C1 connections.
BCM C1 #18
BCM C1 #36

BCM C2 #38
DLC (OBD2 port) #1
Instrument Panel #9
AllData shows that PCM C1 pin #16 going to the ODB port pin #2. I'll check that but are you sure it's tied into the LS Data bundle?

Matt3458

The 5 are:
BCM C1 #18
BCM C1 #36
BCM C2 #38
DLC (OBD2 port) #1
Instrument Panel #9

Pictures show the wires cut out and those soldered together. Does that help at all?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Thanks for that, but that's all stuff I've tried a bit. That does confirm that the two I was getting no continuity to C1 pin 18 and 36 were just completely removed.

A new thing for me to test is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) circuit. I read on some Cobalt forums that they has similar issues and it turned out to be the VSS. It's a long shot but I'll try it.

After that, I'm going to try Gtstory's EPS unit again. When I tried his unit I was having the issue of the dash display being completely useless which turned out to be a cut wire to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) pin #9.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Got into this a bit more over the last week or so.
Checked the wires for the VSS and they had continuity from the plug to the PCM locations.
Swapped in GTStory's PS unit and though it had fixed my issue, but it came back. So, swapped my PS unit back into the car.

Next bits of information. I'm still getting the old P0315 for the Cpk Sensor not learned and now have a P0503 VSS Intermittent. I can clear the codes and everything comes back except the speedometer but the code eventually comes back. I checked the VSS and get voltage when introducing a piece of metal to the sensor end.
Next thing I'm going to try is make sure it shows voltage when the transmission turns over and then check the wires from the VSS to the PCM (not just cont. test).

Once the VSS sends info to the PCM, where does it go from there?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Pretty much all information flows over the High and Low speed networks once it enters a module.
Thanks, hopefully it's just in the wires from the VSS to the PCM and I can fix it easily.
I need to link up with you sometime and return your unit since mine is ok.