GOTW - 1-19-24 #171 Kyle Lunsford

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
This week's Goblin of the Week is #171 from Winston Salem, NC. Kyle's build is very clean and features lots of custom touches like the roof panel and modified valve cover with a catch can system.

What is your name?
Kyle Lunsford

Where are you located?
Winston Salem, NC

What is your forum screen name?
KSLunsfo

Build log on forum:
KSLunsfo - Extended Track - '10 SS/TC

What is your chassis number?

When did you buy your Goblin?

Tell us a little about yourself.
I'm a Mechanical/Electrical engineer working in the Transportation electrical connectivity industry. Ironically it was my automotive passion that pushed me into engineering, and now my engineering skill set supports my automotive hobby!

How did you become interested in cars?
This goes back to before I can remember, before I was even in school. Like many around my generation, the first few Fast and the Furious movies (love 'em or hate 'em) definitely fueled my passion for cars and building/modifying them.

What drew you to the Goblin?
I was looking for another project and did not want it to simply be modifying some street car. I began considering different kit cars and stumbled across the Goblin. I liked the Atom-ish appearance and the simpler overall build process as compared to a full bodied kit car. Icing on the cake was the thorough build videos which I had watched all the way through maybe more than once before deciding to go for it.

How does the Goblin fit into your lifestyle? (daily driver, weekend warrior, both)
Both

Tell us about your build. (who did you build it with? where did you build it?)
Built in my 2-car garage predominately by myself. I had the help of a couple friends to completely tear the donor car down in a single afternoon. Also had some help from the Fiance from time to time.

What, if anything, have you modified on your Goblin that sets it apart from others?
I've added numerous little touches throughout the car, to name a few:
-Threaded inserts everywhere making all panels serviceable
-Custom CAD designed but hand made roof panel
-Self designed components to implement the Honda billet shifter (not part of the group buy) with welded in supports (shifter base is rock solid)
-Custom modified valve cover and catch can setup (no valve coking/gunk buildup here)
-Custom 1-off valve cover COP plate
-Hinged hood with increased rake on windscreen to match A-pillar angle
-AN main coolant lines
-Nine Lives Racing rear wing"

Do you have any memorable road trips, races or events you've attended in your Goblin?
Primarily just local car shows and cruise ins so far. Really hoping to get it to the TOTD, some autocross events and Goblin Fest soon!

Is there a particular aspect of the Goblin—be it the design, performance, or community—that you appreciate the most?
The design/performance was definitely part of the initial allure. But the community overall has exceeded what I ever expected from a community forum.

Finally, do you have any future plans for your Goblin—any upcoming modifications, trips, or events?
A project car is never done... I do plan on a removable steering wheel, updated DF shifter, finally install and tune for the 3 Bar MAP sensors and build/install front wing setup at some point to name a few...

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
This is, to date, the only Goblin besides my own that I've seen in person (Kyle was kind enough to stop by my job site while I was working for a few days in his area), and this build is top-notch and super-clean. I was very impressed. Nice job, Kyle!

KSLunsfo

This is, to date, the only Goblin besides my own that I've seen in person (Kyle was kind enough to stop by my job site while I was working for a few days in his area), and this build is top-notch and super-clean. I was very impressed. Nice job, Kyle!
I still can't believe you haven't seen another one yet! Anymore trips to GSO soon?? :p Thank you Jeremy!

KSLunsfo

Kyle,
We spoke back in 2020 when your kit was still under way. Congratulations on a job well done!
Ralph
Hey Ralph, long time no see! Thanks!

Do you still have your kit? Did you end up buying a completed Goblin? I recall you were looking at one point...

rdesimone

I still have my kit and it is still sitting in pieces in my garage. Despite my best efforts, I got a little distracted over the past couple years with a home renovation.

rdesimone

BTW, Kyle. How long did it take you to go from buying your kit to having a car on the road? I bought my kit in August 2020. I'm just wondering if I'm an outlier on time to completion.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
BTW, Kyle. How long did it take you to go from buying your kit to having a car on the road? I bought my kit in August 2020. I'm just wondering if I'm an outlier on time to completion.
Some guys complete their cars in a couple weeks. Some guys sit on their kit for years while other projects take priority. Some guys (me) are right in the middle. Don't be too concerned; just work at your own pace and get it done when you get it done. It comes together fast once you have the first start milestone. :D

KSLunsfo

Similar to Jeremy, I too was somewhere in the middle. I started late 2019 and was tagged May 2021. I was occasionally focused on other things or I was just slowed up by certain decisions. Also miscellaneous changes to the kit here and there added some time for me.