Grayson M Full Cage Goblin #488 - 07 SS/SC donor

Grayson

Hi y'all,
My name is Grayson and I picked up a DF Goblin Kit last summer and just found the build log forum. I will be making YouTube videos documenting my progress on the Goblin build. I'll post updates here as well as links to the build videos as they go along.
Note: If i'm not allowed to post videos or they get annoying let me know and I can stop or post less frequently.

YouTube Channel:

Attachments

Rauq

Goblin Guru
You're in the right place! Keep the posts coming, if it's about a Goblin then it's welcome here!

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I like watching bobos on YouTube so post them up. I really got into Aaron Buley, WOT Club and Tom Anderson's builds, basically any videos that went through their builds. What I liked a lot about Aaron and Tom is they didn't mind showing you the things they messed up on or had to re-do. It was refreshing to see the things to watch out for.

Lonnie just breezes through the build with no issue, sort of like he's done it a few time. To see actual mess ups made me feel better about my build having quirks and stalls.

Last edited:

Grayson

I like watching bobos on YouTube so post them up. I really got into Aaron Buley, WOT Club and Tom Anderson's builds, basically any videos that went through their builds. What I liked a lot about Aaron and Tom is they didn't mind showing you the things they messed up on or had to re-do. It was refreshing to see the things to watch out for.

Lonnie just breezes through the build with no issue, sort of like he's done it a few time. To see actual mess ups made me feel better about my build having quirks and stalls.
Trust me we have had a lot of mess ups, quirks and stalls! Haha, the videos make it looks really easy at times when it is typically more challenging.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Those furniture dollies are not very expensive, plus the stuff you drop on them is mobile, a real plus in a small garage. I've watched/helped several of theses builds, organization is Key and label stuff and wires! Label stuff you think you know where it goes and stuff you don't know. Just knowing where a connector was in the Cobalt can aid later ID mysteries.
Save your parking brake bits and if you have the space don't throw out anything until after your Goblin is finished! (You saw Adam's little private used parts stash out back!) And if Adam doesn't have that thinggie you swear you saved and now can't find, drop me a DM.:cool:

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I imagine a documentary on how Lonny and Co went from Bug Racers to Goblin factory would be a 4 part Mini Series! I'm betting they had some dark days just building the first one!(I imagine it was a little homely!) I wonder how many prototypes they built? My bet is 4-5, or they spent many, many hours measuring and drawing stuff and making many scale cardboard mock ups.
I'm sure they built one and promptly started compacting it, trying to find places for stuff like the BCM, fuse box and Battery that wasn't in the way of the humans. Then they had to disassemble it to reverse engineer it into a kit. A feat in it's self! Now they are at 500+ units made! Quite an achievement in this world!
A car is a pile of interlinked systems that must be either completely integrated with each other or be on board, but almost completely isolated from each other and still have room for a human.(or two) It's not hard to imagine starting with a couple of humans and "fitting everything around" them.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I imagine a documentary on how Lonny and Co went from Bug Racers to Goblin factory would be a 4 part Mini Series! I'm betting they had some dark days just building the first one!(I imagine it was a little homely!) I wonder how many prototypes they built? My bet is 4-5, or they spent many, many hours measuring and drawing stuff and making many scale cardboard mock ups.
I'm sure they built one and promptly started compacting it, trying to find places for stuff like the BCM, fuse box and Battery that wasn't in the way of the humans. Then they had to disassemble it to reverse engineer it into a kit. A feat in it's self! Now they are at 500+ units made! Quite an achievement in this world!
A car is a pile of interlinked systems that must be either completely integrated with each other or be on board, but almost completely isolated from each other and still have room for a human.(or two) It's not hard to imagine starting with a couple of humans and "fitting everything around" them.
Ultralight mid-engine performance car from a Chevy Cobalt donor| Builds and Project Cars forum | (grassrootsmotorsports.com)

Grayson

Those furniture dollies are not very expensive, plus the stuff you drop on them is mobile, a real plus in a small garage. I've watched/helped several of theses builds, organization is Key and label stuff and wires! Label stuff you think you know where it goes and stuff you don't know. Just knowing where a connector was in the Cobalt can aid later ID mysteries.
Save your parking brake bits and if you have the space don't throw out anything until after your Goblin is finished! (You saw Adam's little private used parts stash out back!) And if Adam doesn't have that thinggie you swear you saved and now can't find, drop me a DM.:cool:
I can tell you we have already broken or lost a couple of parts that we had to replace. Luckily most are easy to find new ones. The only one that is the biggest challenge is the bellhousing spacer for the trans. Looks like i'm going to have to make one.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I can tell you we have already broken or lost a couple of parts that we had to replace. Luckily most are easy to find new ones. The only one that is the biggest challenge is the bellhousing spacer for the trans. Looks like i'm going to have to make one.
Find the right thickness and make it in 2 or 3 pieces. It would cut way down on scrap! It doesn't have to be one contiguous piece!, it was one piece to make factory assembly faster and easier! You could virtually use individual washers in each position, so long as the locating dowel pins/tubes seat into their respective positions. The important measurement is thickness! Or just beat the old one back to near flat, the bellhousing bolts will flatten it back out! (Like when your Mom pressed a flower corsage in a book.)

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I went back and reread all that! Cool history! Notice how much their original build differed from this end product! Mucho Evolution! No design survives direct contact with reality!(you should have seen the original Fiero idea, one was a radial 3 cylinder run on Ethanol in 1977) You know that Goblin also offered an off road version as well? Goblin AT. Apparently it didn't sell well enough.
DF also designed and built a 4 wheel conversion kit for the Polaris Slingshot. I believe it has been sold to a different company. This ain't Lonny's first rodeo, the guy is probably a genius, and we are lucky enough to get to buy the toys he dreams up and makes.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Find the right thickness and make it in 2 or 3 pieces. It would cut way down on scrap! It doesn't have to be one contiguous piece!, it was one piece to make factory assembly faster and easier!
My one piece unit is a pain in the ass to keep on the two dowels already, I'd hate to have to deal with multiple pieces and two dowels.....

Grayson

My one piece unit is a pain in the ass to keep on the two dowels already, I'd hate to have to deal with multiple pieces and two dowels.....
So Ive talked with Adam and another member of the forum. We are getting a trace of the piece and I have the thickness from mine so we are just going to make a few to sell because so many people need them.

Grayson

Hey yall, Ive started wiring up my SC motor and I am having trouble finding where to route the wires and the other lines like coolant and such. If anyone has a supercharged engine can you post a few photos of your motor so I can see how to route things? Thanks!

Grayson

Hey, are there in Dallas local goblin owners (Preferably supercharged) that would be willing to come help me get my car over the line for the first start? Im confused about some of the wiring and heat exchanger things. Any local help would be much appreciated!