Hose Clamps

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I know the standard worm style hose clamps are a staple and most people will use them with no issues, but I find them to be junk. Maybe it's just a matter of me not knowing how tight to run them down, but they seem to loosen up on their own. I had one start dripping on me. The Goblin kit requires requires more clamps than a normal vehicle, and I don't want to worry about them coming loose.

I think I'm going to replace them all with some ABA Original stainless clamps. They're supposedly some of the best around and at around $2.30/ea for the sized I'd need, they better be. They have rolled edges, a smooth underside that won't imprint grooves into the rubber, and a one-piece pressed screw housing that won't open up if you over tighten.

Anybody ever use these before or have any other recommendation?

Also, some may disagree, but I recommend running straight distilled water in your system during the build process. I paid $17/gallon x 2 for antifreeze. If you have any leaks or want to redo something, it's will only cost you a couple bucks instead. I'm glad I did.

http://www.normaamericasds.com/brand/aba

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I agree with the hose clamps idea. I also have had the worm drive clamps break and come loose.

The distilled water is a great idea for during the build process. Especially if you need to disassemble something or make a change it will be a easier mess to clean up. Cooling should not be a issue with straight water during the build. Once you are ready to put it on the street you can change it over to antifreeze. I also use the distilled water in my mix of antifreeze I always buy the straight coolant and mix it myself.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
You must use the green stuff? I don't remember seeing straight Dex-Cool at AZ. Then again I wasn't really looking for it since I'm lazy when it comes to certain things. I'd rather pay a few bucks extra for pre-mixed than mixing it myself.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
After spending $50 on 20 clamps, I replaced all of mine. While they are definitely a higher quality than your standard clamp, they're not "OMG you need to run out and replace all your clamps ASAP before all your coolant comes gushing out in the middle of nowhere." However, I think they're still an improvement. They don't feel flimsy when you tighten them down, and it feels like they'll won't work their way loose.

They are also a worm gear style like a standard clamp. They look very similar too. I have four left if anybody wants them. I'll make another thread.