Is anybody thinking of running coilovers in the rear?

AleX1/9

Setup is now on the car! I ended up using the thrust washers right against the machined strut tower pieces and the clearance was close on the mounting hardware, but it worked nicely.

I used camber bolts on both upper and lower bolt holes and got a LOT of negative camber available, this picture has them set with as much camber as possible.

BAR-AIR

Good Afternoon,
The coilovers turned out really good. The amount of time and effort you put into them really shows. Was scrolling through eBay the other night and saw that Raceland has dropped their price on their Cobalt coilovers to $399.00 on eBay and $340.00 on their own web site. (They could be absolute crap for all I know) but for the guys not able to modify a set like yours if might be an option to get coilovers relatively cheap.
Bruce

KJP

Good Afternoon,
The coilovers turned out really good. The amount of time and effort you put into them really shows. Was scrolling through eBay the other night and saw that Raceland has dropped their price on their Cobalt coilovers to $399.00 on eBay and $340.00 on their own web site. (They could be absolute crap for all I know) but for the guys not able to modify a set like yours if might be an option to get coilovers relatively cheap.
Bruce
I talked to them yesterday to see if you could get fronts only and you can but it only saves about 50 bucks.

Tinkles

You can buy BC coil-overs individually for ~$300-$350 a corner. This is the route I am planning on going.

AleX1/9

I haven’t heard about raceland before, looks like by far the least expensive off the shelf setup.

If you wanted to save money though, you’d be better off doing something similar to what I did, using the OE struts and some eBay coilovers, all for under $50

https://m.ebay.com/itm/CIVIC-96-00-coilovers-springs-lowering-Silver-spring-coil-over/380737373245?hash=item58a5b7443d:g:EFkAAOSwuxFY3rt4

At least that way you know the shocks are decent, and you can upgrade the springs, shocks, and hardware as you see fit.

Andy

I already set the car up but I am going to get a set of the ebay coilovers and see if I can make the work. Cheap way to clean up the back end.

KJP

This is making it difficult to clean and paint my struts because after seeing these I am thinking I need to just do this.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
This is making it difficult to clean and paint my struts because after seeing these I am thinking I need to just do this.
It just looks like they belong on the back of the car. I always felt the whole strut assembly just looked bulky on the car.

AleX1/9

perch1 (1).PNG
perch1 (2).PNG

My welding is really functional at best so I knocked the welds down to a chamfer under the collars. The factory perch weld bead is actually large enough to keep the sleeves from sliding down. I just added these because I had already bought them, and the flat surface is better for the sleeves (as opposed to the rounded OG welded bead that could spread / mushroom the bottom of the sleeve)

If I was going cheap route, I would just grind down the original perch weld kinda flat and call it good enough for ebay coilovers. You wouldn't want to weld on the struts anyway unless you were gutting them for the insert style shocks like the Konis. The heat would likely kill the OE sealed type shocks

Last edited:

BAR-AIR

I’m kind of on the fence. Obviously performance wise the coilovers are the way to go. Looks wise the stock struts I kind of think looks better on the car the coilovers look spindly to me.
FB8C1CDC-AA80-4160-9F6A-68FC90756E50.jpeg

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I’m kind of on the fence. Obviously performance wise the coilovers are the way to go. Looks wise the stock struts I kind of think looks better on the car the coilovers look spindly to me.
View attachment 2859
I’m totally with you on that one. Clearly the coil overs are a better option, but if we’re just strictly speaking about visual appearance the stock ones look a bit better to me.

Attachments

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I am on the other side of the fence on this one. The coilovers just look clean and if done to resemble the fronts they look like they belong on the car. The stock ones look okay but not as good. Almost like it was a hurry up to finish look. Just my 2 cents.