Josh's City Goblin - 10 XFE Donor

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Do you happen to have a picture of this on your engine?
I didnt end up doing it. The ECU doesn't squawk if the dummy light isn't plugged in. I'm not running the Cobalt gauge cluster, so theres really no need for it anyway. Just running the oil pressure gauges sensor

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Starting to check off things on the very long winter todo list. I turned the wing the right way round, but it moves it too far forward for my liking, so I designed some new wing uprights. I cut them out of some scrap OSB on my CNC to test fit them before sending them off to SendCutSend/Xometry. I think it turned out pretty good! Put the wing right where I want it.

This is what the final design will look like.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
How’s the passanger compartment looking?
No real progress yet. Been mulling over ideas. Now thag the CNC is back up and going properly I can start work on fiberglass. Side pods first because I have no heat exchanger loop currently. Then dash.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Updated the wing upright design. Had it made via SendCutSend. Definitely overdid the thickness with 1/4", but the stock DF ones bent so I wanted to make sure these didn't bend. Really happy with how it turned out! Its all adjustable angle front and rear, and super rigid! All that's left to do is to get the new fasteners for it and drill new mounts into the wing (NRG 69" CF wing).

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Got the CNC going with foamboard. It made a MESS so I'm waiting on more parts (ie a dust skirt) until I do anything more. Promising results though! I cut a 100mm diameter sphere into 20mm thick STL's and cut the top 2 out. The foamboard is roughly 25mm thick, so there's a little leftover on the bottom, but that's to be expected. I think I'll work on the dash next as the first actual part.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Got the wing done, minus the mounting bolts. Measured everything 100 times and drilled. Put a hole in a vacuum attachment to ensure that I didn't inhale the super asbestos that is carbon fiber dust. Used M5 rivnuts because M6 went too deep. Added JB Weld for extra insurance and to hopefully prevent stress fractures in the carbon fiber.

signal-2024-02-01-19-02-54-992.jpg
signal-2024-02-01-19-10-02-242.jpg
signal-2024-02-01-20-15-30-908.jpg

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Curious how close that comes to the top of your legs under the wheel and on the passenger sides? From the angle of the photo it looks close, but could just be an optical illusion.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Curious how close that comes to the top of your legs under the wheel and on the passenger sides? From the angle of the photo it looks close, but could just be an optical illusion.
I had the same thought. Will be testing today

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Its mainly because of the taper of this specific rim. My 15" fronts fit fine. I bought a 3mm hubcentric spacer to try. Being 3mm I think its still safe because the wheel will still have something to locate on.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Well, all things happen for a reason. I decided to upgrade my hoses and use an LSJ intercooler pump bracket to tidy up my install a bit. I noticed oil all over the bottom, seeming to come from the dipstick tube area. Sure enough with a little wiggle it snapped right off. Not how I wanted to spend my night, but at least the oil leak is solved. Now I have to see if I can get the barb out without dropping the pan. Can you do that with the engine in the car? Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Screenshot_20240308-205605.png

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
If you have to drop the pan, it’s much easier to get to if you drop the whole subframe (unfortunately). The passenger side doesn’t have a lot of clearance.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
On the plus side, being a base model means I can get parts anywhere. I have a new Dorman dipstick tube arriving this morning for $20! Wish me luck!

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Oil pan is ON THERE. I just used gray RTV when putting it together. Man... My 2ft pry bar is bending. I went over it about 20 times to make sure I wasn't missing a bolt. Ended up ordering this.

Hopefully that let's me get in there and get it cut out. But now I'm down a few more days. Annoyed