Lark's Track Goblin No. 40 - 2008 LT ***REGISTERED***

Tony

If the fan still runs with the relays pulled, then the green control wire will have nothing to do with it coming on or not. It's a power issue somewhere.
Second this. If it's running with no relays/fuses, you've got a short to +12V somewhere along that light blue wire (or its extension).

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Do you have a way to check for what codes you getting? Besides the normal codes we all get due the removed circuits.
There might be one that'll clue us in on what the cause is.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Second this. If it's running with no relays/fuses, you've got a short to +12V somewhere along that light blue wire (or its extension).
I will agree also. As I see more information it takes that green wire out of the problem.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Do you have a way to check for what codes you getting? Besides the normal codes we all get due the removed circuits.
There might be one that'll clue us in on what the cause is.
There's no coolant in the system, so I haven't run the engine long enough to set any codes other than the ones that come up as a result of eliminating the EVAP stuff.

Tony

With the negative battery cable disconnected, check continuity between the positive battery terminal and the positive wire right by the fan. If there is connection, that confirms a short.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Pull your cooling fan 1 relay and measure voltage between pins 30 and 87 on the fuse box. The relays have pin numbers on the bottom. You should get 12V. Also, pull the fuse. You should read 12V across the pins in the fuse box where the fuse plugs into. If you get anything like 0V on either of those, then that's a problem. Probably a short somewhere in the fuse box.
I'm getting 0V between pins 87 and 30 at the cooling fan 1 relay location and between the pins for the 30A cooling fan 1 fuse.

With the negative battery cable disconnected, check continuity between the positive battery terminal and the positive wire right by the fan. If there is connection, that confirms a short.
No continuity when tested in this manner.

Tony

Are your leads long enough to test continuity between pin 87 of the relay and the positive at the fan?

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Are your leads long enough to test continuity between pin 87 of the relay and the positive at the fan?
I borrowed some longer test leads from work to be able to test for continuity as you've described. I found that between battery positive and pins 85 and 30, there is continuity.

I also get 9V between pins 87 and 85 and 1V between pins 86 and 30. Oh, and there is no continuity between pins 86 and battery negative or the engine ground.

Last edited:

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I had a brain fart and misinterpreted that post last night, which is why I checked continuity between the pins and battery positive.

There is continuity between the fan wire at the front of the car and pin 87.

Last edited:

Tony

I'm getting 0V between pins 87 and 30 at the cooling fan 1 relay location and between the pins for the 30A cooling fan 1 fuse.
Going back to this... did you check the voltage between 87 and 30 with the fuse installed or not? If it was installed, it should have been 12V, not 0V.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Going back to this... did you check the voltage between 87 and 30 with the fuse installed or not? If it was installed, it should have been 12V, not 0V.
I'll check again when I get home; I think that the initial check was with the fuse still removed because I had been pulling things to try and get there fan to shut off.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
It's been awhile since my last update, but I'm nearly ready for the first drive. The rear brakes still need to be plumbed and the system bled, but none of the stores in town have copper crush washers. Seats and harnesses are going in today, along with remounting the fuse box and doing the alignment. The cooling fan still runs constantly, but I'm probably just going to run it on a switch when I get around to doing my dash buttons.

Has anyone running a square setup for tires and wheels without spacers noticed the front track width being wider than the rear?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Has anyone running a square setup for tires and wheels without spacers noticed the front track width being wider than the rear?
I had noticed that from other builders posts, prior to ordering the kit. I believe its by design for handling.
I see a lot of open wheel race cars designed this way. F1, FSAE, etc. Offroad as well.
To help compensate some of that I picked a different offset wheel for the rear as I wanted to run a wider, 15in rim. 24mm offset.
Also so I wouldn't have to worry about the tire to strut clearance and need a wheel spacer.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I had noticed that from other builders posts, prior to ordering the kit. I believe its by design for handling.
I see a lot of open wheel race cars designed this way. F1, FSAE, etc.
Good to know; I wasn't sure because I haven't seen many builds running a square setup that I can remember. I suppose checking the wheels/tires/seats thread would have helped there...

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
It turns out that being laid off a couple weeks ago was just the motivation I needed to get back to work on this thing after more or less ignoring it since last summer. The cooling fan issue was addressed by using an aftermarket fan controller, and I addressed all the other little things necessary to get the car ready for the road. Needless to say, the first drive is finally in the books after three years. Now I just need to enlist one of my friends to tow it to the scales and back home so I can get my weight slip and get registered. Bodywork can wait, I'm ready for more seat time!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Sorry to hear about your lay off. But your free time has been well spent!
Three years????? Now that is some persistence!!!!!!!
Congrats on the first drive.
Atta boy!!!!!!!! :)

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I know I just said that bodywork can wait, but there is something about walking out to the garage and seeing the car in an operational state that really makes me want to keep making progress on it. So while waiting for a day when I can use my buddy's truck and trailer, I've ordered vinyl for my side panels and wing. I expect to finish the design for my wing pylons in the next day or so too before I turn my focus to the transmission controller or building a dashboard.